The community of Playcatan, former Catan Online World is dying due to Catan Universe

• I have summed all the things i miss (and are irritated to) in universe compared to playcatan:

The board is each time the same board
    It is not possible to choose who to play with
    The board is to small compared to the screen
    The board keeps moving
    The coast is constantly blinking (not nice for epileptic people)
    You don't know when it's your turn
    The avatars keep moving and emptying their noses
    The music is irritating
    There are no statistics
    There is no way to chat outside the game
    There is no way to look and ask for a moderator
    There are no scenario's anymore
    Hoity Toity is gone
    Domain is gone
    desert sons is gone
    It is not clear to see what resources, cards and commodities you have
    It is not clear how much games people have ended/quitted
    The chatbox cannot stay in the screen, and there are no chat balloons

Hmm am i forgetting something? probably i will.

My message:

For crying out loud, please bring Playcatan back and blow catan universe to oblivion!

Or at least bring out a good beta before you get Playcatan off the servers!

Kind regards,

The Hero of time

• no multycatan!!

Lets make things better...........

• administrators

@Link Thanks for the feedback. You mentioned some issues that are already reported. Please note this is just the Eraly Access version of Catan Universe. Some features you are missing will be implemeted in the future.

• "Some", would you mind clarifying which.

• here are even more you are welcomed to coment... https://forum.catanuniverse.com/topic/549/failures

• @Administrator It is not just a matter of implementing missing features. People have been asking for the REMOVAL of many feature as well. The bosses may not want to hear this, but they made a mistake in making such radical changes to the game. The closer to the former game they can make it, the happier your customers will be.

• @joem That is definitely why it is very scary what is coming from the admin and management - I don't they grasp the extent of the problem. It's not "missing" features. It is flawed design (3D, slow, etc.)

Basically make it look like playcatan.com. Done!

• @hellrise Agreed, the moderators only respond when people post about bugs. You can fix all the bugs you want, in the end you're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. The layout is wrong and the mechanics are wrong. Those aren't bugs, that's the core.

I'm worried the designers are too proud to admit they've failed, either that or they just don't care.

• @Kuanti1 Exactly! And, I get your point about them not caring. I'll repeat what I posted on another thread- why the nose picking avatar? In and of itself, it's no big deal, but for them to include that in their design makes me believe that they didn't really care much about the product. Why would they trivialize the game to that degree?

• @joem Maybe they do want to burn it down.

• @Administrator But why the hell do you close down PlayCatan with just a loosy early access software on hand. Why aren't you continuing to develope this features and fixing the heap of bugs while playcatan is still running ?

• Despite of having obviously something in my nose, my avatar seems to have fleas ....

• administrators

@Parachute Please note that PlayCatan and Catan Universe are two different products form two different developers. While the license is the same, the product in it´s core (the code as well as the infrastructure "surrounding" it) are new developements. Playcatan was a platform which has been around for 10 years and wasn´t fit for the new cirsumstances of the software market. There had do be a renewal at some point. USM is a long time partner of the Catan GmbH and togehther we created an succesfull app for Android and iOs. The goal of Catan Universe is to merge the Web community of Catan (former Playcatan Users) with the App useres. This is something both sides will highly benefit from.

• @Administrator Thank for your answer. I already expected that the developers/maintainers are from different companies.
    But my question wasn't answered :(
    Why isn't it possible to continue running playcatan until the new developer reach the quality of the old service?
    As you mention APPs, with PlayCatan I could play with my tablet on the couch or in my bed. Now I have to switch on my old computer which is not really fun ;) and even with this big machine it does not work properly.

• @Administrator said:

@Parachute Please note that PlayCatan and Catan Universe are two different products form two different developers. While the license is the same, the product in it´s core (the code as well as the infrastructure "surrounding" it) are new developements. Playcatan was a platform which has been around for 10 years and wasn´t fit for the new cirsumstances of the software market. There had do be a renewal at some point. USM is a long time partner of the Catan GmbH and togehther we created an succesfull app for Android and iOs. The goal of Catan Universe is to merge the Web community of Catan (former Playcatan Users) with the App useres. This is something both sides will highly benefit from.

The moment someone could benefit from catan universe will find itself without the community.... Because this may take months and years!

• administrators

@Parachute The answer is quite simple and perhaps quite dissapointing to hear. There are contracts which ran out. These contracts included the software as well as the hardware it was running on. We did our best to extend the runtime of PlayCatan which originally should be closed down in december.