Things you should have solved before shutting down PlayCatan

• There are so many things that the old application of PlayCatan was providing the players, but CU still isn't thinking about them or if they are planning to do them, they should have solved them by the moment of shutting down such a good application.

I will list the primary needs of the online Catan players, which were guaranteed before, but do not exist now in CU.

Overall needs of an online Catan player => freedom to choose, variation and speed!

1. There is no LOBBY with open games, to choose what to scenario to play.
    As a user who pays for it, I want to have the option to choose which scenario I play. For example, the most played scenario from the Seafarers in PlayCatan was “treasure islands” and in CU this comes soooo rarely. Literally the users are forced to play scenarios they don’t like, even though they pay and this also leads to a massive quitting of the games. I don’t understand why the developers have this need to impose randomly scenarios and not give the user the freedom to choose.

2. The dice algorithm is awful.
    For example, if you play some games in a row in CU, you notice so many patterns in the dice roll. 2nd or 3rd turn there comes a 7 and then a pattern of two numbers + 2 and 11 and 12.The pattern is usually with 5 and/or 9 (but can be other two numbers as well) and the rest of the numbers don't roll (or they roll insignificantly). Is not normal, every (but EVERY) game practically a player is totally dead because of the dice algorithm. This happens in PC as well, but once in 100 games.

3. There is no statistic of the numbers that have rolled.
    There are a lot of players who are checking out this statistics when they block numbers with the robber or to know what resources other players have.

4. The showing ELO before the game ruins all the fun and changes totally the game.
    Because of this, the user with increased ELO is heavily robbed by the ones with ELO under 1000 just because... the game is not a pleasure anymore (like in PlayCatan). On the app of PLayCatan also was a rank list for each extension and I always checked it and wanted to have a good position, but this wasn't shown to my opponents before the game started. We, the competitors knew each other from the rank list, but for the rest it was just for fun and not a battle for ELO. If the developers think this ELO should remain, they have to give us an option to hide it before the game. Again, the users have no freedom to choose and are forced to play with this handicap just because.

5. No option for trading responses. - very important for the speed of the game!
    If a players makes an offer, I can’t tell him that I accept the trade if he gives me more resources, or something else or that I don’t have the resource! This takes a LOT of time, because a player who wants to trade is making all the combination, even though you don’t have the resource he is asking for.
    The options in PlayCatan where:

• I don’t have that
    • I want more
    • I want something else
    • I don’t want to trade (which is the only one in CU!!)

6. No option for human substitutes to join the games where other users left.
    If a user choses to play with humans and not with computers, it is obviously that he doesn’t like to play with computers and as if this were not serious enough, the users who leave the game because they don’t want to play with computers, lose ELO because they leave.

7. No option for aborting the game if all the players want to.
    Again, the users of CU have no freedom to choose such a simple thing, being obligated to remain in the game because if not, they lose ELO and gain bad karma.

8. No option for kicking the players who are doing nothing.
    The kick timers isn’t working at all. The players are totally stuck when one of them is simply not playing.

9. No option for re-entering games if kicked out.
    If I am kicked after 2 min of lost connection, I simply can’t re-enter the game. When the kick timer appears I am not kicked out and I only can hope for the connection to get better. Then, after the 2 min in which nothing happens, the player is really kicked out and there is no option to come back.
    The same happens when for example the PC rans out of battery and shuts down, there is no option to re-enter the game. In PlayCatan you had 2 minutes to re-enter!

10. Oasis scenario in Seafarers?
    Where are the ships? If it was not enough the fact that I can’t chose the scenario I want to play, when I am selecting the seafarers extension, I get to play a scenario with no seafaring!

11. No MULTICATAN!:sob:
    This is practically a lost scenarios which was one of the most played by the users.

Not to mention the low speed and the fact that there are almost no players to play with and because of that and because we can’t choose, we as users of CU, are forced to play with quitters.

I would have a question for the @Developers and @administrators … are you players of Catan or just developers and admins?

UPDATE:
    I forgot to mention that the lack of opportunity to chose the scenario a players wants to play includes also the fact that he has to play by the default option of the games... For example, the majority of the players from PlayCatan love to play the scenarios with "friendly robber", but they don't get the chance to play with this option in CU. Another reason for you to let us chose our games! I really don't understand why the players of CU aren't let to play the way they want to.

• These problems are very important. The blatant ignorance and silence about these issues is outrageous.

• put everyting on 1 screen. i dont want constantly change my screenpoint with my mouse. Make an alternate 2D version thats comparse with the 3D version. Becouse, now you need an VR glasses to play this game.

Lets make things better...........

• :+1:
    so true....

• Players have been harping about these problems from the time this platform has been launched and the developers have been ignoring us ever since the platform has been launched. The primary reason is that these guys have no clue about Catan.
    I had made quite a few points a year back but nothing has been implemented to date.
    Just have a 2d option and all the suggestions you mentioned, how difficult is that?

• Well said. all this is so true and a valid complaint/suggestion.
    I have peeked in at CU over the last 2 years, played a few games and have no idea why this is supposed to be better than PlayCatan.....
    I was looking forward to nightly games with people I "knew" (had played with before), sometimes we chatted and some of them were almost like friends.
    The CU offers none of what made PlayCatan such a fun and entertaining game, easy for the not-too-technical gamers like me.
    Wish they had kept it going or just made improvements to what worked so well.
    Wonder how many players/paying players they really have on here....
    In my eyes this is a flop.

• This 3-D version is giving me a headache! I play Catan to unwind and relax. Without choice, slow games, unfinished games, no multi, it is frustrating and I do not wish to pay for visual headaches and slow games that are not fun.

2-D games that are fast, visually pleasing, intuitive, and have the choice of game, kind of robber, etc....are what I would pay for. I will keep watching for a while, but not ready to pay for this.
    If you were to update and charge for the faster 2-D version, I would gladly stay addicted and pay!

• Banned

All the complaints in the original post here are BASIC LEVEL FUNCTIONALITY. USM had an example to work off of, they chose to ignore it and reinvent the wheel. Now you have a square wheel because you thought you could do it better. Round wheels work, square ones don't.

I think what the developers are really missing here is that PlayCatan and in person board game Catan are 2 different things entirely. The gameplay mechanics are the same but PlayCatan is much much FASTER and efficient for completing a game than it is with multiple people in real life. It's a different type of experience ON PURPOSE. Universe has tried to recreate the game from the point of view of a person at a table. That's a serious and substantial design flaw.

#########################################################
    Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• administrators

@P3tra

Here are some quick answers on your list:

1. Catan Universe doesn´t offer a lobby and it won´t offer a lobby. That is a basic designs decision made to accommodate to the standard that has been established in the industry in the last 10 + years. You can modify you matchmaker and get matched to players looking for the same type of games.

2. The algorithm is something also players on PlayCatan did complain about a lot. this is something we have to live with to the end of time I guess :) We will never be able to implement an RNG capable of satisfying everyone ^^

3. Whats the use of that exactly since you don't know what number comes up next what (why block a number that has come up before often?) We offer a game log with detailed info on what the players did during their turn, and what resources they got.

4. This is a decision up for discussion. Other players are very proud of their ELO and want to show it off. We keep our eyes and ears open on the feedback of the community.

5. Did you check out all the options available for trading in Catan Universe? Trade preferences? Wild Card Trading? You can use them to achieve the same as mentioned above but yes it's a different system.

6. We decided explicitly not to do this.

7. A possible new feature we will have to consider

8. We did make bad experiences with the option of allowing players to kick others. We are constantly working on closing loopholes for players to stall the game.

1. If you can´t enter after 2 minutes the systems work as intended. Should the connection loss timer be shown best close the App and reenter the game manually.

2. ist an official scenario of the Seafarer expansion focussing on the treasure hunt. And yes you can select a subset of scenarios you are looking for other players.

3. Who said it will not be added to CU in the future?

• @administrators

1. This is a stupid reason. You can see that people want a lobby. If you take some time to analyze the games that have a matchmaker then you see that they only offer a handful of customizations (IF ANY?!) Catan customization options will grow several times with every expansion you add. And it will make the matchmaker performance horrible. There is nothing wrong with a lobby.

2. True. But there can still be some shenanigan with the AI (can't be proven)

3. Seeing game statistics in the middle of the game can be very useful. It gives you a faster general idea of how strong each player is (player strength is a little bit correlated with how many resources they have collected and used). A little bit more skilled Catan players would know that. I think you are just trying to avoid adding useful features to Catan Universe in order to appease the casual players. And you are completely shutting down any more skilled players with this. What is the point of a tournaments if the gaming platform does not actually allow professional gameplay?

4. ELO is being abused. A lot. And you think it is fine. Let's be honest. You use ELO to keep the addiction-prone people playing the game. This has nothing to do with actual Catan gameplay. But having a public ELO has been proven to change the way people play games. Some people who are in 2nd place would sometimes make the 1st player win. Even if they could have won in the long run. Just so they would not be passed by the 4rd player...

5. PlayCatan counter offer is superior to anything Catan Universe offers. When trading is the core element of Catan, you should try to give us the best you can. With the turn timer being so harsh, your trading features are not useful at all.

6. I disagree with this decision and I have explained it several times. Your AI sucks and it ruins games.

7. OK.

8. You are approaching this from a completely wrong angle. If you constantly try to punish all players, good or bad, you are more often going to punish the good players and therefore ruining the fun of playing Catan. If people abuse the system you could report them... (which should not happen a lot anyway once you have an actual honor based community - which could be enforced by lobby and player substitutions etc.)

9. This is the example from point 8. The system you created is flawed. If someone has unreliable internet, they are never able to play this game. Guess what? Mobile platforms often access internet unreliably. When you travel by a fast moving train and are connected through mobile masts, you will just naturally lose your 2 minutes after a while.

10. Meh.

11. Meh. I guess you will implement it but it will still take ages. Meanwhile you could still do one-time PlayCatan GDPR upgrade and keep it online until you have copied all the features from there... Also, development wise it should have been so much easier to take PlayCatan code and implement it in your own framework rather than start from scratch.

• @Administrator

1. "Catan Universe doesn´t offer a lobby and it won´t offer a lobby. That is a basic designs decision made to accommodate to the standard that has been established in the industry in the last 10 + years. You can modify you matchmaker and get matched to players looking for the same type of games.”

At this moment it isn’t working at all the option to select only the scenarios you want to play. You can try and see (if you ever play) or a player can make you a screenshot.
    Another thing, you can’t choose to play „friendly robber” games in auto matches… having a lobby would give you beside the scenario, the options you like!
    Another veeery important thing here, in this way you give the opportunity to the players to play in team and the third (or 4th) player can do nothing, because he did not knew who he is playing with. I had to block this kind of players, but the games where horrible. In the PlayCatan you knew into what you where entering!

1. "The algorithm is something also players on PlayCatan did complain about a lot. this is something we have to live with to the end of time I guess :) We will never be able to implement an RNG capable of satisfying everyone ^^"

I don’t remember to see so many „death” players in the PlayCatan because of the dice. Keep in mind that if a players is so „unlucky” to have this death position many times in a road, he probably quit playing this game. As I said, this was happening as well in PlayCatan, but very very very rare!!

1. "Whats the use of that exactly since you don't know what number comes up next what (why block a number that has come up before often?) We offer a game log with detailed info on what the players did during their turn, and what resources they got."

Exactly because of the up mentions patterns of the dice! :smile: The statistic I was mentioning here was about the dice rolls, not about players game or resources, but if you mention it, a real-time statistic of the income of the resources would be great as well (you don’t like to compare, but the old one had it and it was used by the players). For us, players it is very useful, but again, dictatorship of the non-players.

1. "This is a decision up for discussion. Other players are very proud of their ELO and want to show it off. We keep our eyes and ears open on the feedback of the community."

I am also proud of mine, but I am not willing to show it to my opponents before the game so they can rob me and steal from me just because of this. Make it optional for those who have the need to boast.

1. "Did you check out all the options available for trading in Catan Universe? Trade preferences? Wild Card Trading? You can use them to achieve the same as mentioned above but yes it's a different system."

Be fair and submit to vote of the players!
    Of course I tried everything and for example I am forced to use the CHAT BOX because I can’t tell the insistent players that I DON’T HAVE THE RESOURCE he is asking for. With a normal option for this, the game would be much more functional and fast!

1. "We decided explicitly not to do this."

Again, submit to vote, be fair.

1. "A possible new feature we will have to consider"

Ok, but it is a basic need. If someone has to go and cannot end the game and the others are willing to abort the game, nobody loses anything! At this moment, you are forced to leave and lose karma and ELO, if you encounter a situation as described.

1. "We did make bad experiences with the option of allowing players to kick others. We are constantly working on closing loopholes for players to stall the game."

Ok, but you had to solve this problem by now… there are players who already pay for this and are having horrible experiences when a players isn’t playing because he is losing. Keep it in Beta phase then.

1. "If you can´t enter after 2 minutes the systems work as intended. Should the connection loss timer be shown best close the App and reenter the game manually."

The system is not well thought and as I said, the kick timer begins even if I am playing normally. Something is very wrong here.

1. "ist an official scenario of the Seafarer expansion focussing on the treasure hunt. And yes you can select a subset of scenarios you are looking for other players."

Very curious, seafarer scenario with no seafaring!

1. "Who said it will not be added to CU in the future?"

I know that you are thinking at this possibility, but the title of my post is „Things you should have solved before shutting down PlayCatan”… You cut us the fun of playing this wonderful scenario!

As I said in other post… be fair and democratic, submit to vote of all players our already exposed needs, including the fast game-play. You could have a surprise! At this moment there is a dictatorship of a so-called "we". Be fair and democratic with the players, at the end they will pay to play a game based on their needs.

• More about why ELO sucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPCYswIe2M

@Administrator Any replies to the comments above?

• :))) Ok, I am sure that this guy is trolling us with such answers. It's unreal!

• @Sriracha4u, you are so right. I would gladly give up the 3-d graphics for a game that is user friendly and faster. It drives me crazy that I have bring the screen in and out all the time to be able to see what a trade will potentially do for the other player.

After the disastrous launch of CU a couple of years ago you think they would have held off on shutting down PC until they had a superior OR AT LEAST EQUAL product...but nooooo. It's truly like these developers don't even play the game.

• Banned

@Sista said:

@Sriracha4u, you are so right. I would gladly give up the 3-d graphics for a game that is user friendly and faster. It drives me crazy that I have bring the screen in and out all the time to be able to see what a trade will potentially do for the other player.

After the disastrous launch of CU a couple of years ago you think they would have held off on shutting down PC until they had a superior OR AT LEAST EQUAL product...but nooooo. It's truly like these developers don't even play the game.

They don't play PlayCatan's version, when you see the admin say that they play what they mean is they play the old app on iOS and they play the new universe. This is the biggest reason why the functionality that PlayCatan players suggest is never implemented, they just don't know any better because the decision makers have little to no experience playing on the PlayCatan platform.

Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• @Administrator
    Are you serious about not having a lobby? We really don't care what the 'industry standard' is because our standard was Play Catan which gave you the option of knowing who was joining the game or which game you were joining. That is the standard as far as we are concerned.
    If you are so concerned about industry standard then maybe you can explain if releasing Catan Universe with so many bugs and flaws is industry standard?

The dice in CU is horrible and yes people complained about the dice in Play Catan but NEVER to this extent. We had the option of playing cardstack original games but here I have no idea what game I'm joining so again a lobby makes sense.

I haven't even got started on how slow it is to play this game. How many clicks does it take to perform a simple operation?
    When will you start listening to the users of the game?