Feedback Update_20 and Update_21

• administrators

Since March 23rd the major Update_20 is available for you. Check out the changelog here: https://forum.catanuniverse.com/topic/931/catan-universe-patchnotes_en. We are interested to hear what you have to say and how you feel about the changes we made. Feel free comment below:

• 1 minute timer is way too stressful. There should be different options for those who want to play fast and those who want to take their time. i.e. I'm slow.

• @TomHanks I agree ......

• If you want to see if you can trade, negotiate and no one agrees, and you trade with the bank, the time given is too short. Especially if your opponents do not respond fast enough. Each trade should stop the timer. Eventually there could be another timer on responding to each offer.

• A trade should not stop the timer because that can be misused terribly. But while proposing a trade it should be possible to perform all other actions. 1 minute timer is fine for an experienced player, once you get used to it, but I'm afraid it is too hard for newcomers. Matchmaker should allow for different timer settings. Another option would be to have a 3 minute time bank which can be spend for extra complicated turns.

• I am an experienced player and I make some sophisticated moves using all my 5 progress cards in one turn, trading to the bank, buildind, upgrading, hitting the opponents with nasty Politics cards, and so on. In one turn of 60 seconds, I can't do these kinds of move, which provide me victory quite often.
    So your opinion is totally wrong since you don't perform these kinds of moves.
    The timer has to be redone completely. A bank of maybe 5 or 10 minutes is an option, but the 60 seconds is defenitely killing the game. In particular, in the final rounds where moves gets a bit complicated, and also when players team up against the leader by doing multiple cards trading and hit him hard.
    The kick out on 3 warnings is a nonsence, since it should apply only to a player stalling the game by not having any activity. If that kick out option is to remain, increase the number of warnings to 5 at least.

• I agree that the timer influences the playing style. Its not longer possible to run very complicated turns, instead you have to focus on what is most important. So game tactics and strategy become a bit different. In chess, it is familiar that timer influences strategy. Personally I like it, but if people like a slower game and full use of cards and resources, they should have the option - after all, in online chess you can choose between slow, blitz and bullet games too.

• My review. March, 2017.
    PROS:

• game is clearly faster
    • less bugs/problems/issues (although they are still present)
    • 4 players option
    • design is also better than before

CONS:

• !!! constantly the same maps/layouts even after i have bought expansions, bundles, etc..
    • my laptop (6GB RAM, Windows 7 ultimate, 1 GB dedicated memory graphics, intel i5 processor) is still heating like crazy in software/client version of a game
    • problems while
    • less avatar customization options
    • options aren't clear enough. (read: user experience troubles) i have troubles to understand what are those features that can be bought with coins (bundles, booster., scrolls...)

ALSO:

• for now, there are less players involved and hard to find team to play
    • for now, I'm playing only base game and auto match, because my presumption is that it is fastest way to form 3-4 players game. I wonder, is there possibility to show how many players are online or free at the moment

OTHER less-important things:

• hard to read chat due to mono-color
    • hard to figure out how to undo ''whispering chat'' (i figured out that we should click on white sentence in chat box)

CONCLUSION:
    Hard to say is it better than before. I understand that you should monetize this game to be sustainable, but why can't you offer the ''faster way with boosts + more customization options'' for those who can pay and ''Slow way'' for the rest of world who just enjoy playing Catan and want to see Catan popularized.

QUESTION FOR ADMIN:
    Why can't you totally randomize maps by default? i expect at least 100+ different layouts... (everyone is talking in game chat that they will stop playing Catan if something does not change)

Good luck with development. Catan has great potential, we all hope that you will do good things that everyone is happy.

• I have started to completely hate this development. All decisions which affect the gameplay have been horrible for the 2.5 years this thing has been in development. And it will take at least another year to finish it. And even then it probably will not be any better than PlayCatan was/is.

Everyone already mentioned the 60 second timer limit. Which was obvious even before you implemented it. We told you to not even try but you did it anyway. I think it is just you playing with the player base - make something worse and then roll it back so that in the end the players would be grateful for your changes. Two steps back, one step forward. Where do we end like this? (But hey, that one step forward was good, right? /s)

The timer... Oh boy. It is just horrible. As I have repeated myself so many times, I have to say it again: DO NOT USE AUTOMATIC TURN ENDING TIMERS! None of the board games were meant to have a time limit like this. Catan is not an exception. The timer should be a "soft" one, meaning that even if you run out of the initial time, you can still make your moves. The other players can vote if a player is consistently being too slow. Look at PlayCatan. Seriously, you should be able to play there and copy it. I can give you my user for that if you do not have access to it.

AI... AI is bad. AI is making moves for you when you run out of time. AI substitutes a quitting player. AI is only good for when you want to play alone. Keep AI out of games which humans have started.

ELO, Experience. Two completely pointless metrics. Stop showing them. Stop using them.

Buying pointless stuff from your "shop"... OK, I get that you need money. Selling skins is one of the oldest gimmicks. I would never buy them. Selling expansions makes sense too. Fine, do that. BUT WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU LOCK AWAY RANDOM MAPS?! Are you so desperate for the money? Did you buy the Catan Licence so you can milk players out of every little dime? Random map for Catan is what makes the game worthwhile to play at all. Base game with ALL its features should be free. Are you really this greedy and ignorant of your players? This is so stupid. Please tell it all the way up to the boss that this is not cool. Random map is the very core of Catan. It's like selling a car without wheels.

Random map... Can you finally make it random in a way that actually is meant to be? Place the numbers in a spiral based on the letters on the back. An easy way to identify whether you have done it is that 11 should be in the middle.

UI... Just so bad. I am playing on a browser but still. The 3D graphics suck. Always have to scroll out to play. But when you scroll out of 3D graphics you will start seeing how bad the graphics settings are - very pixelated view and hard to see the board. Compare it to the static PlayCatan 2D version - so much easier on your eyes.

UX... Trading is horrible. It takes half of the screen to trade and the interface is just badly implemented. Why do the cards you select go over the button which you use to select the cards? Just take a look at PlayCatan tradign and you immediately see that it is much better. Trading is not only the current player offering trades. All other players can offer trades too. And the notification of someone wanting to trade is on the side not opening the trading screen into your face every single time someone offers a trade.
    Rolling the 7 throws an icon in your face and you can not see the map for 3 seconds. Rolling resources for players throws cards in your face and you can not see the map. This is not fun. Yes, we see that you have a good graphics designer and his art is nice. Stop shoving it into our faces all the time. A good UI is not intrusive and can display a lot of information in a nice manner. The current one seems like it is developed for a mobile platform and it will probably stay this way. Playing this game on a PC is horrible compared to PlayCatan.

Performance... The animations. Oh god. It takes so long time out of the game. And you can see how laggy the animations are. You know that the animation is coming but the computer is too slow to show it... And I have quite a powerful computer. A simple game like this should never freeze. But this one can't even display a menu smoothly. The game itself is slow as well.

Although I like that you created a new menu, there is still a long way to go. You can see some mobile elements in there (round buttons in the bottom for choosing your game mode).

Matchmaker... I have said it a lot and I will say it again. Matchmaker is a bad idea. You can not play a customized game with a matchmaker. If you look at PlayCatan games in the lobby then you can see that there are maybe 4-5 different ways how people choose to play the base game. (3 or 4 players. Friendly Robber or not. How many stars must a player have to join. There are more but these are the ones used, each with about 50-50 ratio.) You can not create a matchmaker queue and think it will work efficiently matching players based on these parameters. You are just taking all the creativity out of the platform - people have to play the quick match to get any game version. Matchmaker is always going to be horrible. Oh, and let's also add the expansions and other stuff. It will even further decline the player numbers for each matchmaker queue. Currently C&K only works because it is free to play. When only 20% of the players even buy C&K on CU, they will want their money back because it is impossible to play.
    But with a lobby, players can visually SEE what games are being created and they can join a game themselves. If you use a lobby you could make the matchmaker as a side version - people create games manually and if you use the matchmaker, it will just try to place you in one of these games. You don't have to search, we have a lobby and everyone would be happy. Only with lobby can you make games with very specific custom rules. Matchmaker is limited.

There is definitely more to say but come on... fix your old stuff before introducing new elements to us. No-one asked for scrolls. Make the GAME playable first. No-one will give you money for imaginary internet party hats when your game is not playable.

• @Stroom said:
    Matchmaker... I have said it a lot and I will say it again. Matchmaker is a bad idea. You can not play a customized game with a matchmaker. If you look at PlayCatan games in the lobby then you can see that there are maybe 4-5 different ways how people choose to play the base game. (3 or 4 players. Friendly Robber or not. How many stars must a player have to join. There are more but these are the ones used, each with about 50-50 ratio.) You can not create a matchmaker queue and think it will work efficiently matching players based on these parameters. You are just taking all the creativity out of the platform - people have to play the quick match to get any game version. Matchmaker is always going to be horrible. Oh, and let's also add the expansions and other stuff. It will even further decline the player numbers for each matchmaker queue. Currently C&K only works because it is free to play. When only 20% of the players even buy C&K on CU, they will want their money back because it is impossible to play.

But with a lobby, players can visually SEE what games are being created and they can join a game themselves. If you use a lobby you could make the matchmaker as a side version - people create games manually and if you use the matchmaker, it will just try to place you in one of these games. You don't have to search, we have a lobby and everyone would be happy. Only with lobby can you make games with very specific custom rules. Matchmaker is limited.

There is definitely more to say but come on... fix your old stuff before introducing new elements to us. No-one asked for scrolls. Make the GAME playable first. No-one will give you money for imaginary internet party hats when your game is not playable.

100 Prozent agree!

• Hi everybody,
    I don't want to repeat what others have already made clear (time pressure, etc.). About one thing I am more than disappointed, though: the fact that the board is ALWAYS the same!
    Can we have back the random board?
    If it does not change soon, I will stop playing.

• I absolutely agree that the 60 second timer is not long enough. I agree with Evarist 'If you want to see if you can trade, negotiate and no one agrees, and you trade with the bank, the time given is too short. Especially if your opponents do not respond fast enough.'

A couple of other problems I experienced today:

• we all had enough active knights, but had all our cities destroyed anyway
    • I've had several games hang up today once an AI player had been put in
    • on games which had an AI put in because someone left, I have not been gaining any experience even tho I play out the game
    • had a trade end up for being something different than what I selected

And I'm a bit annoyed to have just been booted out of a game I was winning because of trying to trade with the bank, as someone mentioned before. I also think that the 60 sec timer when selecting initial city/town placement is really hurting the game.

• I believe the timer is just fine . I haven't felt any time pressure. I don't like the new way to find a game , because you end up playing the same maps (even in auto match) and I hate the fact that I have to play again with players I have blocked , because they disappear from my blocklist. And finally you have said that you fixed the bug with the al getting stuck, but nothing seems to have been fixed since I've just left a game because of this.

• @administrators
    Come on guys are you serious? How did you manage to mess this up also, and so bad?
    Ok, hallelujah, we got rid of the "quitter" issue, not a single quitter in 18 games so far so that is great .... but ... instead of fixing the random map issues, you just removed it entirely. I'm talking about the auto match, first island scenario selected ... so the basic game.
    I feel like Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow. I don't want to play the same map over and over again and I think the majority of players don't. This is worse than the quitters, there is no fun for me to play anymore.
    How long will it take you to fix this?

• @TomHanks This is true, easy solution is to add 15 seconds for every SUCCESSFUL trade or piece placement.

• Honestly to me it starts to seem that @Administrator and @Developers dont care, dont have enough staff to actually test this game / updates themselves and they just load crap after crap after crap on our shoulders.

If at first I was really ok with few bugs here and there + response time. Now it really feels like we are their testers and even when we come up with bug report + improvement suggestions repose time takes ages.

How can you manage to F*** this up so fast but can't revert at least back to how it was as fast. 1 week has gone by, no action what so ever.

Are you trolling this community first by locking perfectly working game and now by seeing how people rage about this sub-crap substitute for kids who liked candy crush?!