Bug: road of length 14 counted as length 13

• I was just playing a game of catan, and we stumbled upon this situation. See the screenshot linked below. Grey should have a road length of 14 here, we believe?

screenshot

We were kind of dumbfounded. Grey ended up placing last as well.

• Haha all these years and they still haven't fixed the full circle road counting.

• I also submitted this issue to technical support and got an answer:

The problem is that circles were built in this situation.

Any 2 intersections on the red trade road can be connected to a maximum of 8 roads.
    So for purely logical reasons it is unclear why the longest trade road should be longer than 8 in this special situation.

It is quite astonishing that Catan gets a length of 13.
    This is an error in any case.
    I have already mentioned this to the developers several times and will do so again.

I can recommend the following:
    Don't build circles with your roads. This won't extend the longest trade route. (!)
    :-)

Sincerely,

Catan Universe Support Team

The answer does not make sense to me. Original board game rules do not require the roads to be "logical", "useful" or anything like that. For me, a definition of road length is something like "the maximum number of road pieces of the same colour, consecutively adjacent to each other, each counted only once". Which gives 14 here and in my case, too. The answer about 8 roads from tech support is ridiculous. A recommendation to not build circle roads is funny, too. Sometimes it is not possible to go anywhere else apart from building a circle.

• @Administrator
    This is a game breaking bug. Fix it. Stop the support from giving us these stupid answers. Longest road calculation is broken and you seem too lazy to fix it. For years.

• I replied to them providing an explanation and a link to this forum as an evidence that other players agree. Let's see if anything happens...

• @playtricks yeah well try to use that line of reasoning, provided by support, in a live tournament game, LOL.

Not that I have ever been to one as I'm a new player which is probably evident by looking at the screenshot ;)

• Well... there we go! ayy lmao

**thank you for your message.

ticket ID: 453153

The problem is that circles were built in this situation.

Any 2 intersections on the grey trade road can be connected to a maximum of 9 roads.
    So for purely logical reasons it is unclear why the longest trade road should be longer than 9.
    [red player: No circles. There are actually 2 intersections that can only be connected by 13 roads. The longest trade route is 13.]
    This is an error in any case.
    I will bring this to the attention of our developers once again.

I can only advise you:
    Don't build circles. It will not extend your trade route.

Sincerely,

Catan Universe Support Team
    United Soft Media Verlag GmbH
    Thomas-Wimmer-Ring 11
    D-80539 München**