Serious question about the rules

• Hi!
    I have a question about the rules of Catan. (Sorry if this isn't the right section.)
    In the rules it is stated that "You can break an opponent's road by building a settlement on an unoccupied intersection along his road!" But is it also allowed to do that in a situation that leaves a road (or a line of more roads) of the other player without connection to his/her settlement/city. Look at the picture here... https://ibb.co/1GdVD6Q ...to understand what i am talking about.

About the picture: Lets assume that the yellow settlement with a violet circle around it isn't placed yet. And I'm the yellow player. Am I allowed to place it there?...Because if I do, the red player's road will be without A connection to a red settlement/city.....

Thanks!

• Yes that's possible :+1:

"When you don't know what you should do, look to the stars, they will always shine for you."

• @TheReferee Yes, that's OK. And it's a useful tactic if you know your opponent can build a settlement but you still want to get to a key resource or port beyond that point - you just build an additional road segment knowing, after they break your road with their settlement, that you can continue building road towards your target spot. Another reason to do this is if it keeps them from continuing their road past the settlement to get longest road.

• @MonkeyZ that would be the more explained answer :laughing:

"When you don't know what you should do, look to the stars, they will always shine for you."

• @Prinz-der-Sterne Ha ha, perhaps. I suspect this might be a question in the FAQ, but might as well explain why it isn't a bad thing.

• @MonkeyZ said:

@Prinz-der-Sterne Ha ha, perhaps. I suspect this might be a question in the FAQ, but might as well explain why it isn't a bad thing.

It is already in the FAQ of catan: https://www.catan.com/faqs/92?page=1
    (See various longest road entries. It answers your question, especially:

Longest Road - May I add individual road pieces to an interrupted (Longest) Road?
    Yes. You can add individual road pieces as long as you have a road, settlement or city to connect them to.
    )

CETERVM CENSEO LVDVMCATANEM CONSERVANDAM ESSE

• Yes you can. The question then is can the opponent add a road to the lonely road and build a settlement?

• @Jivebe yes that's possible :)