Make elo display an option

• Just an idea, what about making elo display an option? Seems a lot of people aren't fond of it. That could be solved by just letting people hide all references to it, but leaving all the calculations and tracking in place for those that like it.

• @JimyLee If half the people use ELO and the other half don't, then how can it's value be meaningful [if one feels it is meaningful now]?

• I didn't say it wouldn't be used, just not viewed. If someone wants to play without knowing the elo of others, what does that change? If others still want to use elo, it's still there and still calculated. Am I missing something about elo affecting the in-game play?

• administrators

@JimyLee @MonkeyZ thanks for the discussion about this topic. The next big update (Version 1.6.0) will move the Elo numbers to the end statistics screen. That way players won´t get targeted right from the start because of their Elo.

But we won´t just move it, we will also add further info on how the Elo has changed due to the other players Elo.

• @JimyLee Yes, the thing you are missing is this:
    Several players react on higher ELO by ganging up on the highest ranking opponent. In my experience, those games are really horrible. :skull:
    In one game for example, when all of the others had already well above 11 points, and I was still at 2 points , I was still the only one getting blocked and robbed, :gun:
    Nobody would trade with me, either, :unamused: no matter how good my offers were. That was no fun at all. I don´t mind loosing, but not being able to do anything at all during the entire game is the most boring thing I can imagine. But if the player with higher ELO ends last, the others gain a lot of ELO. That´s why revealing ELO results in unfair game play.

• @JimyLee Targeting players, regardless of their board position, due to the ELO is one issue. It happens often enough to be frustrating.

The other effect ELO has on game play, not specifically from being displayed at the start, is when you can't win, you might as well shoot for 2nd by targeting weaker players and letting the strong player win uncontested Or even using the AI against other players or even letting the AI win intentionally (as they don't even count in the ELO calculation). This minimizes impact to your ELO. But it's a pretty ugly way to play.

• @MonkeyZ said:

@JimyLee Targeting players, regardless of their board position, due to the ELO is one issue. It happens often enough to be frustrating.
    letting the AI win intentionally (as they don't even count in the ELO calculation). This minimizes impact to your ELO. But it's a pretty ugly way to play.

That explaines a very odd game I played recently. I was wondering why the other player was obviously trying to let AI win. Weird way of playing.....

• @Rumpelstilzchen You only have to finish ahead of the other human players. If you are lucky, the AI will help you do that too, lol.