Computer AI Play Style

• In the Catan base game, there are 5 or so different AI players (each with 3 difficulties). Does anyone know if these AI players have different play styles or know their play styles?

• This post is deleted!

• @Stannis-B i know there are VERY VERY VERY slightly diffrences between them, but in my opinion ther would be much mure potential, so the AI charakters have a really personality.

This is one of the most sadly disadvantages of the game.

"When you don't know what you should do, look to the stars, they will always shine for you."

• IMO there should not be a "personality" at all. Otherwise it would make playing against different AIs more predictable. Come on, the AI is as bad as it is.

• I've noticed different AI styles (in replacement players) from how much it trades, obsessions for building cities or card collecting, and how aggressive it plays, but I don't know if this is different personalities vs code tweaking by the developers (I don't play 1 player)

I wouldn't want a personality per say, it should be able to adapt to the necessary play strategies appropriate for the game/point in the game. Maybe personality in the sense of fun (easy to trade with and not targeting specific players exclusively) up to aggressive (harder to trade with [not impossible though] and robbing/playing to control the board)

Again, I don't play single player so I'm not sure if the different characters are different

• Do you all think that it's just for looks then?

• @Stroom of course the AI is bad and should be improved, but this isn't the topic of this page.

I think that every AI player hould have their individual game style, like resources it prefers, strategys that it will play more often or, as already mentioned, how agressive it plays and how often it trades. Why should I otherwise make a charakter design if they are in the end all the same?

"When you don't know what you should do, look to the stars, they will always shine for you."

• I would want them to have predictable play styles. That way you can practice against those AIs and improve your game against human players with those same play styles. To maximize AI ability, play a 4 player game with 3 AIs with the same play style perhaps.

• More experienced players would use different strategies and "play the map". If the AI will go for the development card strategy even if the only ores are on 2-3-11-12 then it will most likely fail. A good AI should not limit itself by unnecessary restrictions.

I do agree that for practice (playing vs all AI from the start) it would make sense if you can tell the AI how is should play. But once AI starts replacing quitters, it should play to its full ability.

• @Stroom said:

More experienced players would use different strategies and "play the map". If the AI will go for the development card strategy even if the only ores are on 2-3-11-12 then it will most likely fail. A good AI should not limit itself by unnecessary restrictions.

If the AI always plays perfect an doesn't has any strategy, it will be more predictabel (for good players) then it has a strategy, because in seathlers there is always a perfect thing you can do, but you are right, the AI wouldn't be a perfect player.

I do agree that for practice (playing vs all AI from the start) it would make sense if you can tell the AI how is should play. But once AI starts replacing quitters, it should play to its full ability.

I also agree with that, because this would change the game to much. But if you want to start a Costum or a Singplayer match, I would prefere to play against players, who don't behave all the same.

I also think all agree, that at the moment the AI is ..... and it shouldn't trade 3 ores for 1 wood on the ore for wool map (for example).

• @Administrator, is there anything from your side on this topic? ;)