Lets Lobby for a 'Lobby'

• @Nyte_ I find your point , that Catan used to be a barrierfree social gathering spot for people :wheelchair: with disabilies and/ or chonic diseases very important :exclamation:
    I had several friends :two_women_holding_hands: :family: :two_men_holding_hands: on PlayCatan that suffered from some or other handicap that restricted their social life. (physical/ emotional disabilities, working rotating shifts, having to move constantly to different countries for work)
    PlayCatan offered a friendly place were you could easily meet to play and have fun.
    Though the technical quality of the game has come a long way since the bumpy start (thank you, :bouquet: developers and support!) the social aspect of the platform still has not reached the standard of PlayCatan.
    The responsible people of CU have made it very clear they do not want to create a lobby. Maybe this will change, maybe not. Until we get our lobby back, I think we should try to improve what we have.
    So what can be done to make CU more accessable, and turn it into the friendly place we all used to cherish?

• @Administrator I don´t want to use facebook, instagram or twitter :exclamation:
    Not after all the terrible things that these ..nasty... have been responsible for. (Data theft, manipulating elections, hate speech, even hate crimes and lynch mobs) :cry:
    The emphasis of Catan Universe should be Catan Universe. Steam would be ok, too. But since many players don´t, or can´t use it, we would still be cut off again.
    So let´s focus on CU. This forum here works really well, I think.
    By the way, I wanted to ask you to anounce seasons here, and give us the option to participate and sign up for seasons here, without using facebook. I will not join otherwise.

• administrators

@Stroom All the arguments you made could be used against a lobby.

1. The fastest way to start a match is to use an easy to use matchmaker.

2. That doesn´t sound very social or helps the community if small groups having strict rules about "How to properly play the game in a decent way"

3. That I don't really get. Isn´t the community all about communicating with each other. Write a note in your in-game guild: "Tonight is Cities and Knights night. Set your filters to guild only and queue up for Auto-Matches." That would work quite well.

4. We get so many reports about possible teamplay. This is not a "stupid" one but an argument that is based on facts. Just saying an argument is stupid won´t make it less true. Despite that: A lobby won´t help with an issue like that. It will rather make it even worse if you enable players to set up a game on purpose in which they could play together.

• administrators

@Rumpelstilzchen its off topic but you will be able to join the next season in Catan Universe once it has started. No need to use Facebook or other social media sites for that. :)

You´ll find all the info also here in the forum in the news section:

https://forum.catanuniverse.com/topic/859/official-announcements-and-important-news/53

• @Administrator said:

@Stroom All the arguments you made could be used against a lobby.

This is wrong on so many levels. You have said that you did not play on PlayCatan. You don't even seem to try to understand why lobby was so good in PlayCatan.

1. The fastest way to start a match is to use an easy to use matchmaker.

As I said, the matchmaker puts you in a game with people who you most likely do not want to play with. Matchmaker is probably quicker but the quality of players who end up in your game is going to be worse, especially when you play at a time when not many players are online at the same time as you. So the matchmaker will lower its criteria of finding players and place you in a game with people who would likely play worse or quit the game. If you use the karma limit, it either does not find the game or the criteria will soon discarded as players are not found. As a player, I would be willing to wait 1-2 minutes more if the next 40 minutes of game time have better quality than Catan Universe currently offers.
    When I compared the speeds of creating a new game, a PlayCatan lobby game started about a minute slower than Catan Universe. And PlayCatan was closed for new players at that time. Catan Universe having more players would mean that the lobby would probably work just as fast.

1. That doesn´t sound very social or helps the community if small groups having strict rules about "How to properly play the game in a decent way"

So what? People want to have FUN. You should not be the ones who define how the game should be played either. You basically dictate that the majority of the players using the matchmaker use the same customization. Picking friendly robber to play with 4 random people is basically impossible. You have to go out of your way to find players who want to play with your special customization. In a lobby, you just set up the game and EVERYONE could see that there is a game waiting for players with that customization. Players could set up filters to what games they want to see and their list of joinable games could be smaller than what is really out there. But for the players who want to have fun with random customizations AND random players, the opportunity will be there. Catan Universe does not offer this kind of thing with matchmaker. There is no community in having the matchmaker place random people in a game. Oncethe game starts, everyone is out for themselves and there is no "friendly chat" inside the game. A lobby would allow people be more friendly towards each other.

1. That I don't really get. Isn´t the community all about communicating with each other. Write a note in your in-game guild: "Tonight is Cities and Knights night. Set your filters to guild only and queue up for Auto-Matches." That would work quite well.

The guild only allows 100 people. What community is that? Most of these people would likely be offline or maybe even inactive for weeks. When I go online to play, I do not set up a game several hours in advance. When I open the game, I want to play instantly with whoever is there BUT I STILL WANT TO CHOOSE whether I play with some guy or not.
    If you set up the matchmaker filter to some specific thing, you still have to say what the customization is. And the other players have to know that too. The fact that you are using a matchmaker for a player base of 100 people (limit of a guild) is just stupid. What if there are 8 players out of which 2 players want to play together but the matchmaker places them in 2 different games? You can't quit a game to start a new one or you lose karma. You are going to be stuck in a game, a thing that could be easily avoided by a lobby.
    Come on, the matchmaker is just stupid for organizing games for small player base. Catan Universe itself does not have so many players online at the same time to justify it.

1. We get so many reports about possible teamplay. This is not a "stupid" one but an argument that is based on facts. Just saying an argument is stupid won´t make it less true. Despite that: A lobby won´t help with an issue like that. It will rather make it even worse if you enable players to set up a game on purpose in which they could play together.

Yes, these things happen. But they happen in Catan Universe too and I have not seen a single solution by you to fix it either. Why didn't I see any team players in PlayCatan all these years? Because the community was handling the team players.
    Friends want to play together. Most players are still honorable and will not teamplay. Very often you do not have enough players for a full table. All these players need is a random player to join their table. NO AI! Catan Universe does not offer a good alternative. You would rather PUNISH the players who are playing fairly than allow then to have FUN.
    This is the problem with your mindset in general. You would rather prevent bad players from doing harm than allow good players to have fun. Another example: The timer is set at 1.5 minutes sharp. If you go over that, your turn immediately ends. This does not happen in real life. In PlayCatan, it was more lenient - if you go over time, other players can decide whether to allow you to take a longer turn or not. This allows the games to run more naturally. Yes, again, toxic players would abuse the system and always vote to end the players turn if he goes over time. But that is not as bad as "ALWAYS PUNISH, NEVER QUESTION MY DECISION" thing you are going for.
    In cases where players team up using the lobby, the team players would be easily recognized after a while and no-one would join their games or would they would be kicked out of the game BEFORE THE GAME BEGINS. So much stress prevented for everyone. And the fact that these toxic players are not allowed into good players games would make them rethink their ways and play fairly again. At the moment, there is no punishment for their actions.
    With matchmaker, it is still very possible to be placed in the same game if both players join the matchmaker queue at the same time. You do not have a good solution for this either so these players can easily continue what they are doing without anyone being able to stop them. Once you are placed in a game, you have no choice to quit the game without taking a penalty. Even if you know from the start that you are going to have a bad time. A lobby is a clear solution to stop team players from ruining the games for others.
    With lobby, it's easy to post publicly who the recent team players are and everyone can read that and not join the games with these players. You seem to think that publicly posting about abusers of the game is bad. Removing the names in forum posts etc. I guess you would not like it but why would the community have to suffer if someone can ruin players from having fun for hours?

As I have said in several topics already, lobby has so many other benefits to matchmaker but you just do not seem to care. What gives?

• administrators

@Stroom Unfortunately your very strict and narrow focus what you personally like and what you personally think is the best way to do certain things do not leave any room for any fruitful conversation.

I do not think (after 2 years) that you will ever give the game the fair chance it deserves. That's too bad for you but your very own decision.

• Isn't this what everyone who wants lobby, wants?

1. To see what customizations other players want to play with

2. To choose who to play with, sometimes kick the players who are known to be annoying to play against

3. To play with a friend and 1-2 random players.

Similarly:
    Unfortunately your very strict and narrow focus what you personally like and what you personally think is the best way to do certain things does not leave any room for any fruitful conversation.

You have decided that there is going to be no lobby so no matter what I just said, you just shut it down without any argumentation. Just like you did with the trading counter offers but you eventually implemented the counter offers. Similarly, if we as players ask for something that we think would make the game better for us, we could eventually influence your decisions.

Aren't you doing it to please the players? If all the comments in the forums call you out on something, you eventually have to address it. :)

• administrators

@Stroom There is no need for petty arguments like that. We wasted more than enough time today in this pointless conversation while we would have been able to do something much more productive and helpful for Catan Universe.

We will see fit avoid this in the future.