Catan Universe vs Catan Online - Marketing / Business Strategy???

• I understand the reasoning behind your move from a business / marketing perspective but have you really looked at your demographic & wants / needs? All people want is a simple quick, competitive game...No fuss! A lot of your demographic are professionals who are time poor and want to get in & get out.
    Catan Universe has complicated the process by adding eg: the in game buying as a means to an end. How many people have purchased your packages I wonder? I certainly haven't...simply another FB and similar business strategy that I am simply not interested in. The people that played Catan online am sure did not mind paying the privilege to play your original game and would be more than happy to pay the cost of some upgrades etc. The platform you have now does not befit the spirit of the game. Klaus Teuber what are you doing??? @administrators @Developers

• administrators

@Nyte_ If we can assist you to get used to the payment system or if you have any specific question about certain packages we will gladly answer them.

Catan Universe is played by people of all ages and especially on mobile platforms. Until now the feedback towards the payment system as well as the prices and the usability of the players´ purchases hasn´t given us reason to reconsider the structure or model per se. Nonetheless, we are always looking into ways to improve and make the game more accessible for everyone.

If you have any questions we are happy to help.

• Thank you for your reply. A simple, quick and user friendly platform similar to playcatan would be ideal. The payment plan / packages are no different to some/ most other gaming platforms so understand that....you need to pay your bills. To get honest feedback maybe do a survey...might give you a better insight. From my readings on your forum, people are generally not happy. But what does a nurse from Australia know ;)

• administrators

@Nyte_ The forums do only represent a very small percentage of the overall users we host on Catan Universe. Unfortunately, it is is quite hard to get "everyone" or even a representative number of users to take part in a survey since for most players their time it to valuable for something like that.
    But to be clear: Every comment and feedback send to us either via this forum, the social media pages, the review sites or via an email is read and taking into account for determining how Catan Universe will be developed in the future.

• @Administrator Ok here is a suggestion from someone mind you who is not IT savvy but likes a challenge. Make the "free Match" games with random tiles (the set tiles you have now cause a problem - once the key tiles are taken ppl leave...not fun and time consuming) This may well bring more people to this platform who may then buy the upgrades. Just a thought.

• @Administrator but a simple true or false/yes or no question does everyone answer, when you want to do a survey ;)

"When you don't know what you should do, look to the stars, they will always shine for you."

• If the overwhelming majority of feedback on all platforms is negative, maybe you should listen to even the "small percentage" of players who take their time to comment and suggest things?

So far you only dismiss the suggestions because you think the silent majority is happy with how the game is being run. Maybe most of them just play a few times and then quit without saying anything.

I guess some people are happy how the game is at the moment... But come on... You can't say with a straight face that the people who actually come to suggest things are a small percentage and their ideas essentially do not count because the majority is being silent. This is a very bad community management.

I guess there actually is no active community here anyway. And there are so many reasons why.

First, you wanted to bring all players under one platform. Good idea in general. Very nice, all players under one roof... But the platforms do not mix well due to PC players having higher standards than mobile players.

Second, there is no central place to discuss the game. The community is divided between this forum, facebook, twitter, some unofficial discord channels, reddit etc. This completely opposes your idea of bringing all platforms together. You have players together without a community as such. Basically you build a soul-less game like this.

Which brings us to... Having an in-game lobby actually bringing back the community. Because that would be central and helpful with almost every aspect of what makes the game more fun.

Oh but if you actually look at how limited so many aspects of the menu is, I guess you are not able to actually create something like this. Guilds have a limit of 100 players - completely unnecessary limit. 100 max for block and friends lists? Come on! Oh and go try to search for the guilds manually. Scroll down as much as you can and you can see how clunky that is. Ever heard about pagination? You could make the list, search and basically everything about the menu so much better... If you would ditch the unity-centered abomination and use anything more specialized. Basically a browser centered version would work much better than what you currently have. Even the in-game things. Currently it seems like a lot of code is run on client side and the synchronization constantly breaks. Server should do server things and client should do client things. Decouple your clients and servers properly!

• @Stroom said:

The community is divided between this forum, facebook, twitter, some unofficial discord channels, reddit etc. This completely opposes your idea of bringing all platforms together.

And there is a Steam :dash: Forum, too. And Feedback on the games. Guess what: Unlike other games played on steam, CU has mostly negative reviews. :-1: I think you should take this serious.

Guilds have a limit of 100 players - completely unnecessary limit. 100 max for block and friends lists? Come on! Oh and go try to search for the guilds manually. Scroll down as much as you can and you can see how clunky that is.

Very true. I am already unable to view the entire guild list, because it always skips back.

• In my work (clinical, management & education not IT though)...The best developers are ones that have 'coalface' experience. Do you guys actually play the game? @administrators @Developers

• administrators

@Nyte_ Speaking for myself... I must have tested and played CU for about 1000h + unit now. Then there are the Catan Classic Apps I worked on for about 4 years. I can't tell you how many hours of Catan I did sink into that.

• Mr Admin,

This game runs horribly. Its a virtual boardgame. I don't understand how after this many years, you have not optimized it. The UI is buggy, it is not robust at all and everything is just so laggy. I'm not even talking about bugs, the foundation of your code is quite poor. I can understand wanting to monetize this game in the new vein of skins and whatever other crap, but when the base experience is so lacking, who will pour money into this?

• @zarando Us, the poor addicted Catan junkies who will endure almost anything, to play our daily game of Catan! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :dash: :money_with_wings:

• @Administrator @Developers Cudos to you for game time. But my question to you personally...Have you played both platforms? Playcatan vs Catan Universe? There is a distinct difference. My thoughts are that the developers, marketing team & management need to talk because there is clearly a disconnect. The one thing I always say..."if you are going to do a job...do it well or don't bother". This is a good game...keep it simple. "Don't try to fix what ain't broke". You had an awesome base (Playcatan) with a great following/platform..I just don't understand??

• Sorry but still waiting on a reply / response from @administrators @Developers Come on folks ...