Our approach to the shut down of PlayCatan should be different.

• We have to accept the decision from Catan Universe that they won't ever open PlayCatan again. Although I'm heartbroken by this, I think we as a community should come together and be united about this. Right now we are all fractured by everyone using different sites to play Catan online (Catan Universe, AsoBrain, Jsettlers, Katan.io, ect). Instead, we should concentrate on helping out Catan Universe as much as possible by sending them detailed reports of bugs and crashes. I too, was greatly hurt by the closure of PlayCatan, but I think how we are reacting so far towards this decision is wrong.

Instead of being angry, try to be supportive and help out instead. I know this community has a lot of hate towards the developers but hate won't help out our situation at all. All of our requests to bring back PlayCatan fall on deaf ears. We have to accept this reality and move on and hope for something better. The Catan Universe team is trying there best to create something better, but great things take time to make. Don't expect a masterpiece instantly. We should really focus on being supportive to slowly improve what we have right now.

I know I'll probably get a lot of criticism, but pouring all our hate out onto the developers won't solve anything. They are firm on their decision to close PlayCatan, and we have to accept this loss.

TLDR; Rather than anger, show acceptance and move forward.

*EDIT: Hey guys, remember I'm just trying to spark discussion. Not anger or silly internet fights towards one another.

• They did not listen to my suggestions for over 2 years. What makes you think they will now?

For those who have been here longer will see the patterns. Nothing really gets fixed. Or by the time something gets fixed, there are much more bugs or "new features" that annoy you even more.

When PlayCatan was closed the first time, player outrage was EVERYWHERE - Facebook pages, twitter etc. And then they reopened PlayCatan, although with no registration of new players. There is always hope.

Instead of supporting someone who has proven time and again that they are not willing to create a game that suits our needs, we could start supporting those who are. Basically anyone else you mentioned.

• Banned

Right I don't believe it is impossible, that's what they said before. Fact of the matter is CU is not a finished product. They don't want us to play on PlayCatan because it would be too much work for them to monetize it. They want us instead to transition to giving them money with their new product, CU. I understand that from a business point of view. But as a consumer of goods I reject this new product, I will not pay for damaged goods. My voice here on the forum is all I have to express my displeasure with the decisions that have been made and I will continue to do so, although I do get what you're saying OP. More flies with honey and such. I'm a dealer of vinegar it seems.

#########################################################
    Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• @Stroom

Ah, first off my post here is create discussion and to unite the community, not to argue or battle anyone. Although they have brought it back in the past, the developers have currently clearly stated it is impossible to bring back PlayCatan since the servers have been permanently shut down.

I should mention that recently the creators of Katan.io and JSettlers have decided to work together to create a platform for online Catan. It wouldn't be bad to show support for other creators, but I think Catan Universe holds the most potential at the moment.

• @acokeparty

Indeed Catan Universe is not a finished product. I totally agree with that. With the amount of bugs and flaws that exist, I think it'd be hard to call it a finished product. Truly I think PlayCatan was shut down to consolidate it's player base on a single platform, but rather it did the opposite making online Catan players search for a reasonable way to play. I hope for most of the player base to play on a single platform too, which is why I'm supporting the developers (an unpopular decision of course).

• @DylLighted Yes, it does not look like PlayCatan will be reopened again. I agree that rage :rage: will not solve anything :innocent: and is hurtful to the soul. But consider this: Many of us, who respond with frustration and anger, have been giving heaps of concrete feedback and advice over 2 years now.:books: And yet, after so many people have asked :pray: for the same key problems to be taken of again and again, (both on the English and German Forums) several crucial changes :wrench: still have not been made. That really is disheartening. :weary:

• @DylLighted
    The discussion to me is this - who to support?
    The ones who never listen to player suggestions (2+ years!) and were the reason why the previous objectively superior system was closed and who are obviously doing this for the money (buy gold to buy pointless clothes on your character)
    OR support the actual fans who develop the game for fun and who actually try to implement useful features without giving BS answers?

Catan Universe server is currently not doing very well. This has happened consistently with major updates. You can not look past that after it has happened regularly for 2 years and the admin does not even say that they are sorry for the inconvenience until 24 hours later.

• @DylLighted How can you support someone who isn't even responding to your posts where you highlight bugs (serious ones by he way), someone who did not repair the problems listed by the players in 2 years by now or who makes you pay for an unfinished product?
    I can understand that they need much more time than other developers, but in this case they should keep it in a free beta phase, being fair with the costumers.
    They answered that the things they implemented (which are making the game play slower or are not agreed by many users) are "made to accommodate to the standard that has been established in the industry in the last 10 + years", but here comes my question: what about the beta phase? Why isn't this phase as well accommodated to the same standard?
    You will never see in the industry they mention an unfinished game released... where the users have to pay to test their game.

I am willing to help them while playing a bugged game with a lot of problems in order to send them feedback and improve it, but if I pay, I want to play a finished game.

• I am all for giving Catan Universe a chance. Yes, at this point, I liked PlayCatan better but I also understand the business necessity to move forward with the game and platform to reach new people. I do still have a small amount of hope that CU will improve enough to be playable. (I mean not currently at the moment with the server being down and main functions of the game not working...but mistakes can be made. CU is run by humans too.)

However, I don't see why I should commit so much of my time to a game that has so many bugs, so many issues, has such slow gameplay, etc...when I could play a different game that is more complete. And I am not even talking about other Catan hosts...I mean other games completely. (Which PlayCatan used to have too, but CU has said no.)

As for the community part...the community has fallen apart since CU started. Now it has a few people who have suggested one thing or another...and been told to stop asking, you aren't going to get it. Well that just makes the community have a common goal of pointing out the bad, bugs, or focusing on the negative. I feel that if some of our (the communities) suggestions were implemented it might help the community be a little less negative. Instead the responses seem to be mostly either ignored or we are told to stop asking. There are only a few that are thanks we will consider that. If CU isn't willing to help us with the community aspect of it, then the community is going to continue to be negative, and the cycle continues.

• The main issue is that the developers refuse to implement the game features that have proven to be very useful for the gameplay in PlayCatan. Trade counteroffers were being asked for 2 years and were refused at first. Only last week I saw a reply where they were "considering it". They are instead going to work on things that do not affect the gameplay of Catan. Useless things.
    Playing basic Catan is just horrible compared to what it was on PlayCatan. And this is the "official" online Catan platform now. You can say that hosting PlayCatan was not viable anymore (GDPR or old server frameworks) but what the players want is the FUNCTIONALITY of PlayCatan. Implementing the best Catan functionality does not have any obstacles. Unless it is ignorance by the developers. For 2 years I have seen bad UI and UX decisions. And there has always been a constant blind eye towards how PlayCatan works. Copying useful features is not covered by copyright issues. Just learn from old things and do not make the mistakes on your own! How many times do we have to repeat it to you?
    Lobby is a big no-no. And the reason is completely oblivious. They have not even replied to my comments about why matchmaker can not handle the different customization settings. And it will be even worse once more expansions are developed. Which basically means that either the developers are too ignorant or not even planning to add any more expansions into the game... because otherwise the matchmaker will be useless.

Whatever, it will probably take about 3 more years until USM and exozet lose their license anyway. Hopefully the next developers actually know what they are doing.

• I too am very sad that we can't play the PlayCatan version. It was really a fantastic site and so easy to use. I think that it will be money that talks. I am not going to buy any credit as the basic game is so bad. I have also been reading the blogs and no-one seems to be pleased with this. Fortunately I have the board game and can play with friends. But it is such a shame that this is so inferior to the PlayCatan site.
    Eventually, their business will go bust if they don't listen to their customers. As I've read the comments about the developers not listening to the players of PlayCatan I am very discouraged. We might have to be patient enough to wait for this to close so that a new site can be developed. If no-one pays this will happen quicker. I'm not at all technical - but why didn't they just update the PlayCatan onto a new platform. Why mess with something so successful - I really don't understand. I wish everyone the best... and we can but hope that someone starts to listen to us.

• Banned

@Stroom said:

The main issue is that the developers refuse to implement the game features that have proven to be very useful for the gameplay in PlayCatan. Trade counteroffers were being asked for 2 years and were refused at first. Only last week I saw a reply where they were "considering it". They are instead going to work on things that do not affect the gameplay of Catan. Useless things.
    Playing basic Catan is just horrible compared to what it was on PlayCatan. And this is the "official" online Catan platform now. You can say that hosting PlayCatan was not viable anymore (GDPR or old server frameworks) but what the players want is the FUNCTIONALITY of PlayCatan. Implementing the best Catan functionality does not have any obstacles. Unless it is ignorance by the developers. For 2 years I have seen bad UI and UX decisions. And there has always been a constant blind eye towards how PlayCatan works. Copying useful features is not covered by copyright issues. Just learn from old things and do not make the mistakes on your own! How many times do we have to repeat it to you?
    Lobby is a big no-no. And the reason is completely oblivious. They have not even replied to my comments about why matchmaker can not handle the different customization settings. And it will be even worse once more expansions are developed. Which basically means that either the developers are too ignorant or not even planning to add any more expansions into the game... because otherwise the matchmaker will be useless.

Whatever, it will probably take about 3 more years until USM and exozet lose their license anyway. Hopefully the next developers actually know what they are doing.

Thank you. I know I am brash at times, but you have had a way of summarizing the same observations I've made in a succinct way.

**Please, listen to this man. **

If it's a matter of monetizing, put some time into getting PlayCatan up to snuff and take our money. Personally, I just want to be treated with respect. You are talking to people that have spent more time than you have playing this game, guaranteed. Did you play online catan 2-3 hours a day or maybe 12 most every day for the last 8-10 years? I did, and my numbers were always small compared to some of the other veterans I would play regularly! We know what we're talking about, stop ignoring us and trying to force your new vision of catan as the next step in the evolution of the online game experience and community. Who is in charge of communications here on the forum? Is it someone at exocet? USM? the catan home office? And does the home office not read this forum or even play the game at CU? I would be furious if I were the person that had to listen to excuse after excuse about why things aren't working right.

Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• @P3tra

Wow that's a very good point. I definitely do think that they should move it back to the beta as there are way too many bugs and issues. The problem is that the company can't. After you release the game and start making money, even if the player base is outraged at you, you still can't go back to a beta state after releasing a game. What will the company do to compensate for the players who have already bought their product?

I'm not saying that Catan Universe shouldn't go back to beta, I just think it is now too late. It's been released for a year now.

• @EmeraldAngel said:

Instead the responses seem to be mostly either ignored or we are told to stop asking. There are only a few that are thanks we will consider that.

Yes, I agree with this. They don't do a very good job considering the community of players. In fact, they do an awful job at listening to the player base. Indeed it is a very negative cycle, but sadly I don't think it's going to stop until the players see some hope that their suggestions are implemented.

• @DylLighted I am actually *not even sure I understand what you really mean....
    At first when CU started 2+ years ago we tried to be positive and offer constructive feedback. Get this - the first avatars picked their noses every now and then (How much sense does that make???). But as most of us noticed how little our input mattered, feelings started to change. I just could not see the point of playing here with all the bugs and the rotten attitude of the CU team, when I had the fun version of PLayCatan that I have enjoyed for many years....
    Now that lovely option is gone and this mess is still almost as bad as it was back then.
    I have a hard time thinking good thoughts at this point.

• @Fortuna said:

@DylLighted I am actually *not even sure I understand what you really mean....
    At first when CU started 2+ years ago we tried to be positive and offer constructive feedback. Get this - the first avatars picked their noses every now and then (How much sense does that make???). But as most of us noticed how little our input mattered, feelings started to change. I just could not see the point of playing here with all the bugs and the rotten attitude of the CU team, when I had the fun version of PLayCatan that I have enjoyed for many years....
    Now that lovely option is gone and this mess is still almost as bad as it was back then.
    I have a hard time thinking good thoughts at this point.

Sigh, after this update I'm really losing hope. Maybe y'all do have a right to be very angry. I guess after dealing with this for 2 years, everyone's lost their patience already. I've only played on Catan Universe for 6 months so I was still willing to give a chance. But this update is actually simply disgusting. I'll really have to think about still supporting, but for now, I'm playing Xplorers on AsoBrain. It's a pretty good substitute as it has no bugs and a pretty good community.

I think y'all should consider joining.