FEATURE LIST FOR DEVELOPERS OF CU TO BE MORE LIKE PLAYCATAN

• CatanUniverse Backlog Suggestions.

Folks I thought I could start a new thread for PlayCatan people that want CU developers to create a backlog from. If we cannot get them to switch the sever back on (which I am still refusing to give up hope on despite what we are told). I thought we could start a wish list to help them be more succesful with CU.

The very first thing I would do is solve the slowness and timeout issues. This is an unforgivable software sin and makes it unusable.

The next thing I would do is completely redesign the graphics in the following ways:

1. Think Utility vs. Cutesy
    2. Real estate is everything - need to be able to see everything in one place - no cards stacked on one another.
    3. Make it very fast, no animations more than 0.2 of a second - we don't have time for dices spinning extensively and rolling around and shit like that or roads falling on the ground and bouncing around. No one cares! Don't even bother with a "cute animations toggle" - this will only be interesting to casual players who wont be loyal to your annuity stream. - generally this is much better now than it was when CU came out - but still room to improve.
    4. For some reason the CU visuals seem fuzzy - make them sharp, clean
    5. Make the board 2D only - Let me be clear NO ONE CARES ABOUT 3D IN CATAN - this is not Call of Duty - this game sits in our minds.
    6. Get rid of stupid characters - these were also stupid in PLAYCATAN and take valuable real estate. The CU characters are cutesy and annoying to look at and serve no purpose at all. J

Just a few ideas to start. What else should they do?

TBT

• Banned

No more AI subs. Allow other real players to substitute and allow the remaining players to abort the game on consensus if no sub. No one cares about your AI (much like the 3d graphics). People who want AI can play Catan Classic.

But most of all, make it FAST. Forty minutes to play a base game is unacceptable. Can you make it fifteen?

#########################################################
    Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.
    #########################################################

• Suggestions

• Make the kicktimer optional in all games. If players are clearly engaged in the game, I really hate to see them kicked out just because there are a few seconds of connection problems. So many games are disrupted by the kicktimer without good reason.

• Give players an option to reenter, if the other players will accept it.

• Show the list of shortcuts somewhere, e. g. how to use the really useful quick build menu. Not everyone has discovered it yet.

• Add a shortcut to include "buy a development card" in the quick build menu.

• Add a "refuse" shortcut- key. You have "n" for dice, "space" for roll, how about "x" for no?

• In Cities and Knights, there should be the option to move the commodity card closer to the game, so I don´t have to zoom and move around all the time. All that zooming and moving just to see the game is extremly tedious.

• Would it be possible to rearrange the table? Or to give us an option to rearrange it ourselves? The way you laid out the table and the game is not very practical for me. I would arrage it differently, if I could.

• Since Catan Universe is a Global Community, I would welcome a little checkbox what lanuages the players speak, so you don´t have to waste time to find out.

• It would be nice to have a little chat menu with standard answers, like "Good luck", "Well played", "Congratulations", like we had in PLayCatan. Especially if players don´t speak the same language.

• @tbt - Great ideas.....
    Trade window and process needs to be streamlined.
    I would like to still see the cards I have and the trade window.
    Cards could be a lot smaller - just one each as placeholder and the number of how many I have below it. Instead of fanned out like in a hand.
    Leave chat window as an option to be open or closed. I normally only chat when something is wrong or with players I know, known as friendly banter..... (or Catan rage for some LOL).

Avatars could be much smaller and leave more space for game board and game necessities, such as the cards. I also do not need them to be animated, it's a distraction.

I don't need to see the hints that robber just was rolled, "You were not robbed" and then someone robs me after all. I know when I have more cards then allowed when the robber hits.
    I don't need to see written on the board whose turn it is, the highlighted avatar seems enough.

• @tbt Great start. These are all very good ideas and all necessary. One suggestion I have which is similar to yours about making the graphics less fuzzy is to make the colors more distinct and brighter - closer to primaries than those subtle shades they use. We also need a lobby where we match up easily with specific players.

• @Rumpelstilzchen - all good ideas/suggestions...... if only they were heard......

• have an option for people who want to play fast vs slow - a lot of us want to play really fast (even though that's not really possible in this version) and to get stuck with slow players is awful. We used to be able to differentiate because we would pick the "120 second"games in play catan.

• @tbt said:

Real estate is everything - need to be able to see everything in one place - no cards stacked on one another.

I agree with everyone here, especially seeing everything at once like on PlayCatan and for goodness sake get rid of the excessive check marks. How about an undo button that would be used occasionally instead of check marking every little thing and some things twice

And Please add a way that 2 friends can play with a stranger. Right now its either all random or all friends and we dont always have 3 friends on at the same time

• @Rumpelstilzchen said:

quick build menu

Where is the quick build menu?

• @Airmell Quickbuild :+1: is activated by clicking on the spot you want to build :wrench: something. Wether you want to build a road, a settlement or a city, just click on the place you want to build it. A menu appears right there on the spot, offering you building (or upgrading) options. Just choose and click on the one you want. Green hightlight means you have enough, red highlight means you still lack resources. Done. Very fast and convenient.

• @Airmell Getting rid of excessive checkmarks and introducing an undo-button are genius :bulb: ideas!