Please open source PlayCatan

• If you don't wish to maintain it and make money from it, at least let the world have it. It would be simple to open a repository on GitHub, upload all the files that are needed and let the community take over from there.

@Developers @administrators

Is this a possibility?

#########################################################
    Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• administrators

@acokeparty Unfortunately this is not possible nor is it in the interest of the owners of the source code.

• @Administrator said:

@acokeparty Unfortunately this is not possible nor is it in the interest of the owners of the source code.

Who exactly owns the source code

Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• @acokeparty - Probably Catan GmbH since they are the one putting out the first digital version?

• @Administrator Sorry, still really frustrated with catanuniverse. I really enjoyed playing fast games and there was a community built around those games. What are the interests of the owners? Can't there be some type of win win solution for all? I would guess that making money would be one of the interests. Isn't there some way to bring back the speed and variety of games? I am not into graphics so much (nor is my computer) I am willing to pay for playing games that are enjoyable. So far, this has not been a pleasant experience over the past two years.
    I am really hoping for a creative win/win solution. Thank you.

• administrators

@Sriracha4u We will add new features and scenarios to Catan Universe as well. The next update will bring the Rivals of Catan base game, including the 3 theme sets to Catan Universe. Our schedule throughout the year is pretty tightly packed with releases of new content. We are also planning for this year to bring something to a digital Catan version that has never been done before.

I can assure you that we will keep on working on the speed and gameplay of the game also. But once you get used to the gameplay we implemented so far, you can already finish a base game in 15 minutes or so.

But as sad as it may make you (which I get on a personal level) we won´t and can´t turn back time. We already stalled it for as long as we could.

• @administrators @Developers But why let something that works SO WELL die? Why can't people still enjoy the same game play mechanics that were so painstakingly planned and executed in the software that was PlayCatan? Let us have it. I don't care to make money from your intellectual property, I and others like me just want to play the game we love.

I talked to quite a few competitors at the national championships and the number of people that have never used PlayCatan was 9 of every ten! We that know what a great piece of work it is are a dying breed. When people asked me about PlayCatan and what was different than CU, they were all amazed that the license holders would just throw away something that works, especially considering what they're used to dealing with on CU.

What if I provide direct graphic replacements and text substitutions such that the game can be played without infringing on your IP?

Let us establish our own game servers. Let us worry about what's compatible where. And let us honor the programmers who put their time and effort into PlayCatan. Or at least put me in touch with someone from the PlayCatan team.