Catan Universe Leaderboard Question

• So you gather ELO and look at the leaderboard, and see a dude with 1370 or so ELO having played 75 Games. Next one has a little less ELO and played 104 games. This is mathematically impossible. The couple of players that appear to be human have about 500 to 1000 games and creep around 1250 ELO, which is fine cause that's how the ELO system works. Just... Where is the competition?

I know how ELO works and it is utterly impossible to come out on top with 75 or 104 games against such a vast community, given the diminished returns in ELO the higher you climb up the ranks.

So these guys Csander, Ariana, Kalfer and Dzikin (or whatever his name is...) have obliviously been put there by the dev's to even out the ELO in the lower ranks.

But Why? This destroys any feel of advance for the humans who actually play the game, you win even with a high ELO score, open the game the next day and have a guy with another plus 50 ELO in front of you who disappeared out of nowhere... I can proudly say I was number one and the first player who reached 1200 ELO after the last update, and now you cannot get to even the top ten because they all are bots.

Credit to brexxz BTW, he is actually human ( I played him once) and managed 1330 something ELO. No wonder he settles for this (3rd place currently, until the devs place the next couple of bots in front of him with probably 1500 ELO one day) and does not play this account any more.

But could the devs maybe elaborate, why they put these bots on top in the first place?

• administrators

@Schaef We do not taper in any way or form with the ELO lists. Thank you for pointing out these odd numbers. We will check and see if we can find any irregularities here.

• @Schaef - seems fishy to me..... ☺ like so many other things on here.

• Banned

@Fortuna said:

@Schaef - seems fishy to me..... ☺ like so many other things on here.

Right, I just don't believe the admin at all. Is the ultimate end game of the programmers to show off their fancy 3-d graphics and artificial intelligence? I'm pretty sure it's their only goal in developing this product. Their mission is certainly NOT to make a fast, efficient, bug free gameplay experience with a thriving, engaged community that is willing to pay for a good product. No-sir-ree, that is clearly not their intention.

But, muh AI! muh 3d VR graphics! WE DON'T WANT ANY OF THAT BULLSHIT, JUST GIVE US BACK THE PRODUCT THAT WORKS SO WE CAN PAY YOU FOR IT.

#########################################################
    Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• @acokeparty I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! I WOULD LOVE TO PAY FOR THE OLD CATAN!!!!

• administrators

@acokeparty Please do refrain from the usage of foul language or all caps sentences here in the forums. Keep it civil.
    @clarkcrewmom Please do refrain from the usage of all caps sentences here in the forums.

• Banned

@Administrator said:

@acokeparty Please do refrain from the usage of foul language or all caps sentences here in the forums. Keep it civil.
    @clarkcrewmom Please do refrain from the usage of all caps sentences here in the forums.

Everyone would be quite a bit more civil if you weren't trying to force a sub par replacement for a game that already worked great. And then telling us it's better. The use of all caps is for emphasis as are the colorful words and considering the way you address the former PlayCatan users on here it's all warranted.

Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• I don't know about other players, but I played against Csander once and he cheated on me by hacking the game. He put one of his towns in a really strange settlement and then, when his turn came, magically obtained many resources and won the game on his first turn. That was it. At that time He had between 2500 and 1300 Elo points.I don't remember exactly. Then he got that pile of points, I guess fooling other people. Sorry for my English, but I think it's important to state what happened to me in order to avoid this happen again.

• @Schaef I got a lot of false ELO points because a lot of my opponents were kicked out due to "Lost Connection" or "inactivity" even though they were actively playing or chatting. I was kicked a lot myself, :alarm_clock: :dash: but by coincident less than others. So now some players feel the need to gang up on me right from the start. :fearful: :gun:

• Banned

@4bel said:

I don't know about other players, but I played against Csander once and he cheated on me by hacking the game. He put one of his towns in a really strange settlement and then, when his turn came, magically obtained many resources and won the game on his first turn. That was it. At that time He had between 2500 and 1300 Elo points.I don't remember exactly. Then he got that pile of points, I guess fooling other people. Sorry for my English, but I think it's important to state what happened to me in order to avoid this happen again.

I don't doubt for a minute that this game is highly hackable and that there are cheats out there. Considering the hubris of the management and developers, and the fact they can't even make the basic game work... I sincerely doubt it's secure. I took a quick look under the hood just in the browser and the amount and type of information that is being dumped into the console when inspecting the page is unreal. I guarantee there's ways to trick their system.

• @acokeparty That sounds serious.:anguished: Please specify: Do you mean it can be hacked to improve the scores? Or, which would be worse, to attack my PC? (Like phishing, or infecting it with a virus?) :fearful:

• Banned

@Rumpelstilzchen said:

@acokeparty That sounds serious.:anguished: Please specify: Do you mean it can be hacked to improve the scores? Or, which would be worse, to attack my PC? (Like phishing, or infecting it with a virus?) :fearful:

More the former than the latter - like individual players can manipulate data to their advantage in the game.

• @acokeparty Thank you, cokey. :relieved: That is reassuring. Miss playing with you. :crying_cat_face:

• @administrators after 24 days are you still investigating? What did you find out? Who are the mystery leaders with 75 games and 1377 points?!
    And how is that possible? I would like to know ... maybe I can also improve my stats.

• Thanks very much for all the replies! I think 4bel answered my question here. Given that the admin's did NOT block my original post, I believe them that the players on the top of the ranks are not bots, but just people that have knowledge on how to hack the game.

Two questions remain though...

The first one is not important. So there are people that actually don't PLAY a game, but use their console skills, hacking skills, or whatnot, to put themselves top of the rank of a game they not once even tried playing seriously. It's a good game after all. The motivation to do this simply eludes me. But hey, the world is big...

The second question however is how the developer of that game could let this happen. I assume half of the people that play here play for the joy of advancement and for a score that shows that they are indeed 'better' than others. It's called competition. The way it is now (and right now we even have a player with over 1400 ELO) I don't see where there is a competition. It doesn't matter how well I play, how many times I pick myself up after a crushing minus 13 defeat, I still will crawl around at 1250 to 1280 ELO.

It's a shame that this can't be influenced by those who developed this game in order to establish this feel of a worldwide tournament. Other games already achieved this.

• administrators

@Schaef Thank you for your patience on that issue. Since we are reviewing every game the player made this takes some time. We want to make sure that after this our system is more secure than before. It is our goal to promote fair play and we will act accordingly. Some accounts have already been blocked due to possible cheating or unfair play in general. We take this very seriously but we don´t just want to fight the symptoms but rather "cure" the causes. Unfortunately, this takes some time but we are on it.