Let's ask Klaus Teuber

• Here is the address for Klaus Teuber which I found online
    Klaus Teuber
    Schulgasse 43
    64380 Roßdorf
    Germany
    I am gonna write him a letter asking for help in getting PlayCatan back online.
    I do not know where else to start.
    Post here if you would be willing to pay to play there again.
    And pass it on to players you know.

• @Fortuna He has also facebook, I will try to write him there.

• Banned

There are plenty of us that are willing to pay for the better version of online Catan. Klaus doesn't care. Having said that, I'll still write a letter :)

#########################################################
    Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• Yes sure i want to play the old catan again, and also i am willing to pay for it again.....

• @P3tra - I did that as well and no reply.
    I assume this door is shut for good, but I had to give it one last try.
    Good Bye to PlayCatan and all the great people I have met there

• @Fortuna You are probably right. We can only hope now that the developers of the CU take the players into consideration one day... they are fighting us instead of hearing us. Normally, our purpose is the same, making the game functional.

• Banned

@P3tra said:

@Fortuna You are probably right. We can only hope now that the developers of the CU take the players into consideration one day... they are fighting us instead of hearing us. Normally, our purpose is the same, making the game functional.

The admin that's in here constantly with the "I know better than you" attitude has spent the majority of their time playing electronic Catan with the original iOS app and CU. No wonder they don't get it. :expressionless:

Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• HELLO PLAYCATAN FANS - I think it is a lost cause. I miss the good old game and will not play this CU stuff...
    I received an email today from Arnd Beenen, the digital content person at Catan GmbH in Germany. They received my letter and just repeat the same reasons, that the game is too old, can only run on a few platforms, takes up too much server infrastructure, and so on.
    But their decision is irreversible and they hope and ask that we give CU a chance.
    I wrote back saying that I have no interest to be playing on the buggy CU....
    I guess that is it for us PlayCatan Fans.
    I have looked into the games online that are similar to Catan but don't really like any of them. The community feeling does not exist there, and some things are too complex for an old woman like me.

• Banned

@Fortuna said:

HELLO PLAYCATAN FANS - I think it is a lost cause. I miss the good old game and will not play this CU stuff...
    I received an email today from Arnd Beenen, the digital content person at Catan GmbH in Germany. They received my letter and just repeat the same reasons, that the game is too old, can only run on a few platforms, takes up too much server infrastructure, and so on.
    But their decision is irreversible and they hope and ask that we give CU a chance.
    I wrote back saying that I have no interest to be playing on the buggy CU....
    I guess that is it for us PlayCatan Fans.
    I have looked into the games online that are similar to Catan but don't really like any of them. The community feeling does not exist there, and some things are too complex for an old woman like me.

I don't understand why everyone involved wants so badly for us to play the new version. It's like no one ever spent any significant amount of time on PlayCatan. They talk to us like we're children and stick to the same talking points like a script.

If I could play a bug free base game with my friends in under fifteen minutes maybe id try again. But forty minutes and you may not even get credit for playing, or even better lose credit? Nooooo thank you.

• @Fortuna @acokeparty @tbt @PlayCatan
    HI there - Here is the answer I received per email after I sent a letter to Klaus Teuber in Germany.
    It was posted in German, I will also add a translation for the English speaking fans of PlayCatan:
    Für uns bei Catan war es die erste digitale Online-Plattform und daher auch etwas Besonderes in das wir über die Jahre viel Arbeit und Herzblut gesteckt haben.
    PlayCatan läuft jedoch nur online mit einer aufwendigen Serverinfrastruktur auf wenigen Plattformen. Da das System zudem technisch veraltet ist, war die endgültige Abschaltung leider irgendwann nötig und schon frühzeitig angekündigt worden. Trotzdem hat USM, der Publisher der digitalen Catan Versionen, den Betrieb von PlayCatan so lange wie möglich versucht aufrecht zu halten und tat dies netterweise für bereits registrierte User sogar kostenfrei.
    Seit der Veröffentlichung vor 2 Jahren wurde Catan Universe dabei stetig weiterentwickelt und auch auf Kritik aus der Community wurde, wo es möglich war, reagiert. Z.B. haben die Entwickler schon frühzeitig die Kritik an der Spielgeschwindigkeit aufgegriffen, wodurch die Aktionen der Computergegner und die allgemeinen Animationen nun deutlich schneller als zu Beginn ablaufen. Die Geschwindigkeit der menschlichen Spieler kann sicherlich nicht beeinflusst werden, trotz integriertem Timer, da mag jeder individuell spielen. Sie können das freie "Ankunft auf Catan" Szenario jedoch auch mit ausgewählten Mitspielern anlegen und spielen, wenn Sie die gleichnamige, kostenlose Einstiegskampagne durchgespielt haben. Alternativ können Sie das Catan Basisspiel auch für einen kleinen Betrag kaufen, womit dieses dann mit allen verfügbaren Optionen und Varianten dauerhaft verfügbar ist.
    Ich bin zudem sicher, dass die Entwickler auch weiterhin konstruktives Feedback aus der Community aufgreifen werden. Auch für uns als Lizenzgeber ist es wichtig, dass Catan Universe sich im Sinne der Spieler entwickelt.
    Ich hoffe also Sie werden Catan Universe trotzdem noch eine Chance geben und es wird auch für Sie eine Plattform werden, auf der Sie sich wohl fühlen.
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    Arnd Beenen
    Catan Team
    TRANSLATION:
    For us at Catan it was the first digital online platform and therefore something special. We poured a lot of hard work and our whole heart into this.
    However, PlayCatan only runs online with a complex server infrastructure and only on a few platforms. Since the system was also rather old and outdated, it was regretfully necessary to shut it down at some point and we have made an early announcement about this. Despite this, the publisher of the digital Catan versions, USM, tried to keep PlayCatan running as long as possible, and for the players already registered, they kindly offered to do so free of charge.
    Since its launch 2 years ago Catan Universe has seen continuous improvements and they have also reacted on critique/input from the Community, as much as possible. For example - the developers took action early on about the speed of the game, and now the actions of AIs and the general animations run a lot faster than in the beginning. The speed of the human players can surely not be influenced, despite the integrated timer, everyone can play at their own pace.
    You can now play the "Arrival at Catan" scenario with other players you can select, after you played the entry campaign with the same name. Alternatively you can purchase the basic Catan game at a low cost, and then this is available to you with all options and versions permanently.
    I am also convinced that the developers will continue to implement constructive feedback from the community. For us as licensor it is also important that Catan Universe is developed with the player community in mind.
    Therefore I hope that you will still give Catan Universe a chance and that it will become a platform you will enjoy.

There you have it...... same answers that we just don't like since after several games I still do not like CU and all its bugs and awkwardness. It is not a worthy replacement of what we have enjoyed for so many years.
    Miss you all!!!!

• Banned

@Fortuna said:

@Fortuna @acokeparty @tbt @PlayCatan
    HI there - Here is the answer I received per email after I sent a letter to Klaus Teuber in Germany.
    It was posted in German, I will also add a translation for the English speaking fans of PlayCatan:
    Für uns bei Catan war es die erste digitale Online-Plattform und daher auch etwas Besonderes in das wir über die Jahre viel Arbeit und Herzblut gesteckt haben.
    PlayCatan läuft jedoch nur online mit einer aufwendigen Serverinfrastruktur auf wenigen Plattformen. Da das System zudem technisch veraltet ist, war die endgültige Abschaltung leider irgendwann nötig und schon frühzeitig angekündigt worden. Trotzdem hat USM, der Publisher der digitalen Catan Versionen, den Betrieb von PlayCatan so lange wie möglich versucht aufrecht zu halten und tat dies netterweise für bereits registrierte User sogar kostenfrei.
    Seit der Veröffentlichung vor 2 Jahren wurde Catan Universe dabei stetig weiterentwickelt und auch auf Kritik aus der Community wurde, wo es möglich war, reagiert. Z.B. haben die Entwickler schon frühzeitig die Kritik an der Spielgeschwindigkeit aufgegriffen, wodurch die Aktionen der Computergegner und die allgemeinen Animationen nun deutlich schneller als zu Beginn ablaufen. Die Geschwindigkeit der menschlichen Spieler kann sicherlich nicht beeinflusst werden, trotz integriertem Timer, da mag jeder individuell spielen. Sie können das freie "Ankunft auf Catan" Szenario jedoch auch mit ausgewählten Mitspielern anlegen und spielen, wenn Sie die gleichnamige, kostenlose Einstiegskampagne durchgespielt haben. Alternativ können Sie das Catan Basisspiel auch für einen kleinen Betrag kaufen, womit dieses dann mit allen verfügbaren Optionen und Varianten dauerhaft verfügbar ist.
    Ich bin zudem sicher, dass die Entwickler auch weiterhin konstruktives Feedback aus der Community aufgreifen werden. Auch für uns als Lizenzgeber ist es wichtig, dass Catan Universe sich im Sinne der Spieler entwickelt.
    Ich hoffe also Sie werden Catan Universe trotzdem noch eine Chance geben und es wird auch für Sie eine Plattform werden, auf der Sie sich wohl fühlen.
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    Arnd Beenen
    Catan Team
    TRANSLATION:
    For us at Catan it was the first digital online platform and therefore something special. We poured a lot of hard work and our whole heart into this.
    However, PlayCatan only runs online with a complex server infrastructure and only on a few platforms. Since the system was also rather old and outdated, it was regretfully necessary to shut it down at some point and we have made an early announcement about this. Despite this, the publisher of the digital Catan versions, USM, tried to keep PlayCatan running as long as possible, and for the players already registered, they kindly offered to do so free of charge.
    Since its launch 2 years ago Catan Universe has seen continuous improvements and they have also reacted on critique/input from the Community, as much as possible. For example - the developers took action early on about the speed of the game, and now the actions of AIs and the general animations run a lot faster than in the beginning. The speed of the human players can surely not be influenced, despite the integrated timer, everyone can play at their own pace.
    You can now play the "Arrival at Catan" scenario with other players you can select, after you played the entry campaign with the same name. Alternatively you can purchase the basic Catan game at a low cost, and then this is available to you with all options and versions permanently.
    I am also convinced that the developers will continue to implement constructive feedback from the community. For us as licensor it is also important that Catan Universe is developed with the player community in mind.
    Therefore I hope that you will still give Catan Universe a chance and that it will become a platform you will enjoy.

There you have it...... same answers that we just don't like since after several games I still do not like CU and all its bugs and awkwardness. It is not a worthy replacement of what we have enjoyed for so many years.
    Miss you all!!!!

I like the way they blame the developers for all the problems and then try to make it ok by saying "the problems aren't AS bad anymore you should be grateful". And then the "we poured a lot of hard work and our whole heart into this" - if that is true Arnd Beenen then why are you so willing to let it die? Why not let us players who LOVE the game you put your "whole heart" and a lot of "hard work" into PLAY THE GAME???

this entire response sounds like this to me: "we know you had a great run with PlayCatan but that is over,, please accept this bread with human excrement as the filling, and also please smile because previously it was dog excrement and we have upgraded you to human poop for FREE! Aren't we awesome :)"

• @acokeparty - Like it or not, I think we have to accept the decision. Your answer almost sounds like a tantrum, sorry.....
    It is their business, their software, and if all stakeholders in the companies are in agreement that this is it, then we have to accept it. If a store you like closes you don't have any say in that either.
    Don't get me wrong. I dislike this all as much as you and everyone else does that liked PlayCatan.
    A great gaming experience has been turned off, a community is dissolved.
    At this point I will stop asking for them to open it up again since that door is closed.
    I will play a CU game now and then and give factual feedback of all the bugs I encounter since I have yet to play a game where everything works (as ill-designed as it may be imho). But I will not become a paying customer, and probably never a fan either.
    Fortuna has resigned :-(

• Banned

haha @Fortuna it is 100% a tantrum, no need to apologize! I get emotional on this topic, what can I say?

• @acokeparty - I get it...... we all feel strongly about what has been a fun, enjoyable online experience. Now I log in thru Steam to try and play and it tells me that I am offline.....So I try to log out, but I cannot do that in offline mode...... I AM ON A BUS AND CANNOT GET OFF. :-)
    So I click on QUIT and it has the audacity to ask "Do you really want to quit this game?"
    Jeepers, I was not even in a game, I was OFFLINE.... Good grief, this latest update/fix surely "fixed" things. Lmao

• @Fortuna said:

Good grief, this latest update/fix surely "fixed" things. Lmao

Get used to it. I'm too tired to point out how the same bad things happen all the time.

• Banned

@Stroom said:

@Fortuna said:

Good grief, this latest update/fix surely "fixed" things. Lmao

Get used to it. I'm too tired to point out how the same bad things happen all the time.

At this point I've invested quite a bit of time reading the comments on steam and the forum here. It's the same pattern of incompetence in execution and smarmy commentary that we've seen from the last time this happened and they decided that "well yeah, maybe our product isn't ready for prime time". It's still not. The users are not the bug team.