Please bring back PlayCatan!!!

• Banned

That's easier said than done. Plus, it's already done! Just charge us for it already and stop giving excuses.

here's what they fed us:

Of course, we’re all great fans of the original Catan games, but we regularly play other board games and tabletops as well. We create Catan Universe for you as well as for ourselves and look forward to playing with you!
    https://forum.catanuniverse.com/topic/914/general-information-about-catan-universe-and-its-creators

What a bunch of baloney.

#########################################################
    Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• Address for Klaus Teuber. I am going to send him a letter to ask for help in getting PlayCatan back online. I found it online, public information....
    Klaus Teuber
    Schulgasse 43
    64380 Roßdorf (or type Rossdorf if you cannot make the German ß)
    Germany
    Anyone have a better idea on how to get this done? Please post it here.

• @Fortuna I will send one from Romania as well. It would be something to send from more countries. Do you have also the e-mail? I will search on the internet information about him and his team.

• I want to remind everyone that we did offer free access to PlayCatan for a very long time period and prolonged its lifespan as long as technically possible. We made it clear that a further support of PlayCatan is not possible anymore. It is the wish of the USM and its partners (including the Catan GmbH) to create a new home for all Catan players in Catan Universe. The termination of PlayCatan is a definite decision the servers have been shut down and the databases have been cleared. There is no way to bring it back to live again.

Please accept this fact and please distance yourself endeavors mentioned here in this topic. We all here working on Catan stand behind the decisions we made.

• Oh of course there is a way to bring it back. All it needs is opening registration again and we can just create new users. Nothing is impossible.

If you compare PlayCatan to Catan Universe as different "homes" then PlayCatan is a mansion while Catan Universe is a hut. And the core idea of making PC players play alongside with mobile players is fundamentally flawed and bad idea. More skilled players require more advanced features. You are essentially stealing the fun away from the old players. And for what? $

• administrators

@Stroom We offered a very long legacy mode and provided the service as long as we could. The software used for the database does not comply with the new GDPR regulations apart from the code base being simply outdated.

• the fact is, after one week on CU, i didnt manage to play online with people... i join guilde, i try to start "automatic game", but never find player to play...

with playcatan i was able to play online within 2 minutes

• I get it. But if you are taking this system away, you should make the new system better than the old one. For the PC players. At the moment, PC players are like second grade citizens to you. The more advanced features would never be implemented fr PC because they are not usable by mobile players. No-one would be OK with that. There will be several other user made PC Catan versions popping up and once one becomes good enough, people will move there. There already are quite many but they just need more developers.

• but... ok... i can see sheaps moving in the back while waiting for players...

• administrators

@jlp44 We host thousands of multiplayer games every day. Please contact us via support@catanuniverse.com if you should need assistance with that.

• Banned

@Administrator said:

@Stroom We offered a very long legacy mode and provided the service as long as we could. The software used for the database does not comply with the new GDPR regulations apart from the code base being simply outdated.

You can make it GDPR compliant but you don't care to. Your responses here are rude and dismissive.

"But we gave it to you for free :) :) :) "

No one asked for it to be free. We're all willing to pay.

"This is better, you'll see! We're right and you're wrong"

You're just being rude at this point. Better not to respond at all honestly. You're only making the effected people more upset.

Bring back PlayCatan! Let us maintain it and pay for it. You just collect money.

• administrators

@acokeparty We explained over the past year or two in great detail why we did what we did.
    We have never been the provider of PlayCatan and we took it upon our self as a gesture of gratitude towards longtime fans to keep it open as long as possible.

We can just ask to give CU a fair chance and that's exactly what we do. How many games did you play? How many options did you try? Did you take your time to get to know the game and see how certain things may benefit you or work?

• Banned

@Administrator said:

@acokeparty We explained over the past year or two in great detail why we did what we did.
    We have never been the provider of PlayCatan and we took it upon our self as a gesture of gratitude towards longtime fans to keep it open as long as possible.

We can just ask to give CU a fair chance and that's exactly what we do. How many games did you play? How many options did you try? Did you take your time to get to know the game and see how certain things may benefit you or work?

You continue to explain "in great detail" why you're right and we (the players!) are wrong. Yes i tried the game 2 years ago. Yes I tried it now. It's TOO SLOW. Far too much time spent on stupid animations and trying to recreate the in person experience virtually. You shoot down all the suggestions because they are too much work and don't line up with YOUR vision of what the game play should be. You didn't need to reinvent it, it worked great already.

I'm not giving your product any more chances, it pales in comparison to what I already know and love, and I'm not going to accept a sub par substitute. Quite frankly its a frustrating waste of my time. I'm certainly not giving you any of my money. Why would I?

FORTY MINUTES TO PLAY A BASE GAME. <-- that says EVERYTHING. on PlayCatan it took 15 minutes, maybe even as little as 10. Can you make a version of the game that 3 people can complete in a reasonable amount of time? The one that you have wastes precious seconds for every action over and over and over... what don't you get about the fact that these extra fractions of seconds accumulate over the course of the game? Why all the bells and whistles? That's what everyone has been asking since day one and your response has only been "You so stupid, we better". It's insulting really.

• @kuandreas22 Do you now how to do that?

• @Administrator Yes, you offered free access for a very long time", but remember what we said 2 years ago and what we are saying now; we are willing to pay! So don't bring up "free" as if you were doing us a favor.
    You say you "prolonged its lifespan as long as technically possible". Well, we know you re-started it after its shutdown 2 years ago, so my question is what technical problem prevented you from continuing it the way you were able to earlier. I'm not a computer scientist but my suspicion is that this might be more of a business decision based on copyright issues about which you are unwilling to share. Your answers about reasons are vague and mystifying.
    Whatever the motivation and method that got us here, the decision is hard to defend from a business standpoint. You had thousands of locked in customers willing to pay for something they feel comfortable with for a version that is inferior in every way except for some fancy graphics. Now you will lose them. Perhaps, the business connection is that you are experimenting with some new game graphics to see where they will take you in other games. If this sounds farfetched then please offer a sensible reason because all you have said is that it's a done deal, and farfetched reasons are all we can come up with. I think in the long run, this will prove to be a bad business decision.
    Two years ago playcatan fans successfully got the game returned. Please don't dismiss us with the idea the everything has been erased. Anything can be re-done.