-18 elo lost

• Is that a humble brag?

• Is there a maximum you can lose?

Is it possible to not tell players your elo score at the start?

• administrators

@Wootah

A very humble brag ;)

Theoretically, you can lose more elo in a single match. However, the ranking difference between the players in this match was already unusually high. The system tries to match players according to their preferences and ranking. Only if no players that match these criteria aren't found in a certain timeframe, the auto-match search increases its search radius. That was the case and therefore I high elo loss was possible due to the high ranking difference.

• Why would anybody care about ELO? Can someone explain that phenomenon to me? Is it about pride?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

• administrators

@Jesus-liebt-Dich

Some people play games just for fun, others have fun in competing in games. For us, it's a good way to use elo comparison to ensure that in auto-match people of similar proficiency are matched together whenever possible.

• @Administrator but there are never enough players online, so that people with similar ELO can matched together.

I also want to mention this tread for this topic:

https://forum.catanuniverse.com/topic/3744/elo

"When you don't know what you should do, look to the stars, they will always shine for you."

• @Jesus-liebt-Dich I do try to ignore it.

• @Administrator said:

@Wootah

A very humble brag ;)

Theoretically, you can lose more elo in a single match. However, the ranking difference between the players in this match was already unusually high. The system tries to match players according to their preferences and ranking. Only if no players that match these criteria aren't found in a certain timeframe, the auto-match search increases its search radius. That was the case and therefore I high elo loss was possible due to the high ranking difference.

Well I certainly prefer to play but do you have to tell the others who is good or bad?

• @Administrator

But ELO doesn't really fit Catan nor reflect skill ... you can lose ELO for all sorts of random reasons, but even with a string of losses, you didn't lose skill or experience (I say this as someone who's ELO has swung between 1100 and 1300)

I'd love to see ELO replaced by a ranking system that never decreases due to random bad games or lucky wins by other players, but rather only increases with wins against similarly (or higher) ranked players. This could be built on the rank that currently tops out at 20.

Then players can choose to play for fun, or chose to be competitive (no worry about protecting your ELO for a fun game)

• @Wootah said:

Is it possible to not tell players your elo score at the start?

I'd like this. You should learn to read your opponents by their play, not some random score at the start. [plus remove the cases where you are being targetted for your ELO, if ELO isn't eliminated all together.]

• Had wheat/ore on 9, it rolled twice the whole game, 2, 3, 12 all rolled twice as much each... I still managed to pull of 2nd, yet -13 ELO Lost !?

Point being, you can do well despite the dice being hard against you, and lose significant ELO ... and somehow this is supposed to represent your skill or experience level.

• @MonkeyZ said:

Had wheat/ore on 9, it rolled twice the whole game, 2, 3, 12 all rolled twice as much each... I still managed to pull of 2nd, yet -13 ELO Lost !?

Point being, you can do well despite the dice being hard against you, and lose significant ELO ... and somehow this is supposed to represent your skill or experience level.

The game i am QQing about 9 did not roll once.

• @MonkeyZ also yes i was shocked to lose points when coming second in another game.

• @Wootah said:

@MonkeyZ also yes i was shocked to lose points when coming second in another game.

I usually expect 2nd would put me somewhere around 0 to -2 ELO (but I know, math and the ELO of the person who won )

• @Wootah yes something needs to be done I was at 1100 and with all the bugs and losing so many points for coming in 2nd or 3rd is crazy. Don’t think you should lose points for playing only for leaving!!!

• I have it the other way round. I gained lots and lots of fake ELO :crown: because while trying to play Duell, my fellow players were kicked :boom: out constantly. So I was counted as "winner"! Now everyone turns on me in multiplayer games, haha! Don´t take ELO too serious. It cannot be representative while kicktimer :alarm_clock: "works" so, ahem, polite word, "shaky"! :dizzy: