Game didnt stop after player reached victory point number

• Playing today i have experienced an issue when game didnt stop after i reached amount of VP needed to win. It went for 1 more round before stopped. Please fix! Other players could of decrease VP of the winner.

• Was it your turn, when you reached the necessary vp? Or did you reach them by accident
    e.g. another player broke the longest road an you caught them or you got a victory card from
    a development and it was not your turn?

CETERVM CENSEO LVDVMCATANEM CONSERVANDAM ESSE

• @administrators @Developers Bug repited! - pic - https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/213843777/m%3D2048/0cedb6f89ef62888b30e07241df5b59c
    as you see on a picture VP need to win 20
    I have 20 but game still going on. Barbarians invaded the Catan and i gained 20th point cause of it and game didnt stop.

• @s-n-i-p-e-r said:

@administrators @Developers Bug repited! - pic - https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/213843777/m%3D2048/0cedb6f89ef62888b30e07241df5b59c
    as you see on a picture VP need to win 20
    I have 20 but game still going on. Barbarians invaded the Catan and i gained 20th point cause of it and game didnt stop.

Once more: Please read and try to understand:
    The game is over, when you reach the 20th point in YOUR turn!
    The Barbarians invaded and you got the 20th point - BUT NOT IN YOUR TURN.
    You have to wait until it is your turn again. This is the same as it is in the boardgame.
    Only the active player will stop the game, when he reaches or gets the necessary points.

• administrators

@s-n-i-p-e-r

Thank you for providing a screenshot. Is the game log scrolled completely down, e.g. to the latest action? It shows you rolling the dice, but the image shows it's the next player's turn already. If the barbarians invaded during another player's turn and you therefore reached the necessary VP during another player's turn, you will not win instantly. You need to reach the necessary VP during your turn, e.g. the game will continue until it's yourn turn and then you'll win.

• I think there was/is a bug that if you gain enough points to win on another players turn and then it becomes your turn... You do not win. You must build something that would give you points (although you already have enough points to win).

The winning condition check should be made only when the player ends his turn. Maybe also in the beginning before the player even rolls - in case some action would make the player lose points.
    The current implementation of win check after every player action is not good. If a player reaches 10 points on his turn, his turn should continue until that player hits the "end turn" button. This is how it was in PlayCatan and this is how it is in real life games. The current automatic check is just not taking all cases into consideration and is much more error-prone.

Don't tell me the excuse that some arrogant players would intentionally wait the whole timer after winning the game to "rub it in"... This rarely happens. You could also do the same thing if you have enough resources and you just do not build the last settlement or city.

• administrators

@Stroom said:

The current implementation of win check after every player action is not good. If a player reaches 10 points on his turn, his turn should continue until that player hits the "end turn" button. This is how it was in PlayCatan and this is how it is in real life games.

This is something we discussed with our partners at Catan GmbH, as the implementation in PlayCatan actually contradicts the current official rules:
    As soon as a player reaches the necessary VP during his turn, the game ends and he wins. Furthermore in official tournaments like the 2017 German Catan Championship Qualifiers, the total VPs gained of a player that are used as a tiebreaker are based on the VPs needed to win a scenario. Additional VP are not counted, e.g. if a player finishes a scenario that requires 10 VP to win with 11 VP, only the VP actually needed for winning (10) are counted.

• @Administrator said:

@Stroom said:

The current implementation of win check after every player action is not good. If a player reaches 10 points on his turn, his turn should continue until that player hits the "end turn" button. This is how it was in PlayCatan and this is how it is in real life games.

This is something we discussed with our partners at Catan GmbH, as the implementation in PlayCatan actually contradicts the current official rules:
    As soon as a player reaches the necessary VP during his turn, the game ends and he wins. Furthermore in official tournaments like the 2017 German Catan Championship Qualifiers, the total VPs gained of a player that are used as a tiebreaker are based on the VPs needed to win a scenario. Additional VP are not counted, e.g. if a player finishes a scenario that requires 10 VP to win with 11 VP, only the VP actually needed for winning (10) are counted.

Sorry Administrator, THAT is not true in all situations. It is correct, that at official tournaments like the Catan Championchips only the VP actually needed for winning are counted, BUT it ends, when you pass the dice, and, if you are able to cut some points from an opponent, like stealing the longest road or the extra knight points, that takes extrem effects in the calculations of the tie breaker!
    Because a tiebreaker is your points divided by the amount of points at your game. So if yo can strip two points from your opponent, then your value is higher, because the sum of the gamepoints is two points less whereas your points are the same!
    So - as I mentioned long time ago - the game ends, when you pass the dice OR you claim the victory (actively). But you should have the possibility to cut points from your opponents, even when you reach the winning points.
    This factor was important at the german championship 3 years ago (when I remember correctly), where the 16th and 17th are only seperated by this factor and it decides who reach the semifinal and who not.
    In former Versions you have to claim the win of the game, otherwise the game continues.This happens last year at the german championsships, someone has forgotten to claim the win, because he misscalculated, so the game continues to his next turn.

• Yes. Game is never automatically over. Game is over when you declare it is over. One could even argue that you should be able to intentionally NOT declare yourself the winner and let the game go on for another round just so that what Honie described, could happen. But that is a bit too much.

The automatic check is an over-simplification, just like the trading system, AI and timer. Stop "stupidifying" a strategy game please.

• @administrators @Developers I gained 20th Victory point on my turn through my win over Barbarians and it didnt finish the game. I was able to click finish my turn and game went for another round. So - it is a bug. Since i reached 20th point on my turn.

• The rules also say (at least in tournaments) that "if you do not notice that you have 10 points", the game goes on. This could be used to gain an edge in the tournament setting. I guess the Catan owners are right about this. Nevertheless, whenever you play in real life, you will have to declare victory, it is not automatic. It would be so much better if you get a button to choose to win or to keep playing. As said before, you could use some actions to steal more points from other players etc.

Either way, the bug is still there so why the hell not just make two additional winning condition checks - before and after your turn? It is just 2 freaking lines of code to add to the game logic. 2 lines!

• According to the FAQ entry I just posted it IS automatic. If you have the points on your turn, you've won. Simple as that. Doesn't matter if you notice it. It may be different in a tournament setting, that I don't know. But the official rules according to the FAQ on catan.de are that you win when you've got the points on your turn.

• Yeah, I understand why to do it that way. Still, as the game is so buggy, the developers are slow to fix things, an additional check when you end your turn makes the most sense to fix any possible future issues.

• administrators

@Honie

Actually the official FAQ states that regarding official tournaments "You have won as soon as you have reached the required number of victory points on your turn – and then the game is over." (http://www.catan.com/faq/4613-victory-conditions-may-i-continue-scoring-points-after-having-reached-number-victory-points) or in German "Mit der erforderlichen Anzahl an Siegpunkten in Ihrem eigenen Zug haben Sie gewonnen; „gewonnener“ können Sie nicht mehr haben." (http://www.catan.de/faq/732-siegbedingungen-darf-ich-nachdem-ich-die-zum-gewinn-erforderliche-anzahl-siegpunkte-habe)

However I personally don't know if this was handled that way at all times in the past at tournaments. I also agree that this an important issue to clarify for tiebreakers as you mentioned. We will discuss this with our partners at Kosmos publishing and the tournament organizers. In the meantime we will stick to the official FAQ.

• @Administrator said:

@Honie

Actually the official FAQ states that regarding official tournaments "You have won as soon as you have reached the required number of victory points on your turn – and then the game is over." (http://www.catan.com/faq/4613-victory-conditions-may-i-continue-scoring-points-after-having-reached-number-victory-points) or in German "Mit der erforderlichen Anzahl an Siegpunkten in Ihrem eigenen Zug haben Sie gewonnen; „gewonnener“ können Sie nicht mehr haben." (http://www.catan.de/faq/732-siegbedingungen-darf-ich-nachdem-ich-die-zum-gewinn-erforderliche-anzahl-siegpunkte-habe)

However I personally don't know if this was handled that way at all times in the past at tournaments. I also agree that this an important issue to clarify for tiebreakers as you mentioned. We will discuss this with our partners at Kosmos publishing and the tournament organizers. In the meantime we will stick to the official FAQ.

Aktuelle Regeln von der Deutschen Meisterschaft:

 Bei Punktgleichstand entscheiden die von den Spielern insgesamt erreichten
    Siegpunkte (SP). Gewertet werden immer nur die 10 maximal zum Sieg
    nötigen Punkte. Sollte nun immer noch Gleichstand herrschen, so entscheidet
    die höhere Summe des Prozentanteils der Siegpunkte der eigenen Spiele.
    Sollten nur 3 Spieler an einem Tisch spielen, so wird die erreichte
    Gesamtpunktzahl an diesem Tisch für die Berechnung des Anteils um die
    Durchschnittszahl der Punkte an diesem Tisch erhöht, da sonst 3er Tische
    unverhältnismäßig bevorzugt würden. Für den Fall, dass nun immer noch ein
    Gleichstand besteht, entscheidet das Los.

 Ein Spieler hat erst gewonnen, wenn er 10 oder mehr Siegpunkte (Städte &
    Ritter: 13) hat und er an der Reihe ist. Sollte er dies versehentlich übersehen,
    so muss er warten bis er wieder an der Reihe ist um das Spiel zu gewinnen.

Regel 1 impliziert, dass die Wertung des Siegers abhängig von der Tischpunktzahl ist.
    Damit gibt es in Turnieren sehr wohl ein "gewonnener", denn neben dem reinen Sieg,
    zählt auch die Dominanz eines Sieges für den Tie-Breaker. Damit MUSS es für den Sieger
    möglich sein, in einem mehrere Runden dauernden Turnier, das Ende seines Spieles selbst zu bestimmen.

Ich verstehe auch nicht wirklich, warum Ihr Euch so gegen diese Umsetzung wehrt, denn für ein
    normales Spiel ist es völlig belanglos, wie die Hoch die Summe der Tischpunkte ist.
    Wenn Ihr es auf die Abgabe der Würfel triggert, wären alle Forderungen erfüllt und jeder könnte
    damit leben und der Sieger könnte selbst bestimmen, mit wie vielen Punkten er das Spiel beendet.