Cities & Knights question

• @administrators @Developers In original board game its only 6 Victory Points for defeating barbarians. Is it the same apply for the online version? ( cause i experienced 7 or more online is it a bug or feature? )

• @s-n-i-p-e-r The amount of VP-Cards for defending the Barbarians is unlimited. Also in the real Board Game. If the physical Cards are not enough, you should count it virtual. Klaus Teuber gave this answer some time ago. The reason why it is limited in the board game is simply by financial reasons and finding a fitting amount. BUt if the Barbarians will come more often, you will get every time a VP if you are the hero of catan.

CETERVM CENSEO LVDVMCATANEM CONSERVANDAM ESSE

• IMO the game should be played like it is "out of the box". In tournaments, there are rules about the situations when you run out of resource cards. In a similar way this situation should be handled. initially the developers said that they want to give the feeling like you are playing behind a real table when playing the game. So, if you run out of game pieces then you can't replace them. All this means that the cards SHOULD be limited as it would be in the real life when you play with your physical copy of the game. Most players would still assume that things like this ARE limited.

One very horrible thing in the game currently is that the resource cards are not limited. If you combine that with the monopoly card, it could really mess up the game. Let's say there are two 9-sheep hexes on the board and 3 cities around both of them. Each 9 roll will give out 12 sheep. If you roll four 9s in a row, you would have 48 sheep in peoples hands. (This is very possible with the broken dice sequence which has not been reported to be fixed yet, actually there were five nines in a row.) Now if someone also has a sheep port and monopoly card, it would mean that they can trade 24 random resources and more or less win the game with that. Yeah, this is a bit exaggerated case. but I have seen things like this happen in Catan Universe. Even with ~30 cards. In the base game the limit of each resource type is 19. Given that, I find that the limited number of resource card brings more balance to the game.

• In the rules FAQ for the board game this question gets the same answer - you can get as many "saviour of Catan" victory points as you are victorious and the single player with the most knight strength. The rules FAQ suggests you add other tokens.

This is exactly how the boardgame is supposed to work. Why are you complaining? Did you house-rule your tabletop games otherwise?

• administrators

@Honie said:

Klaus Teuber gave this answer some time ago. The reason why it is limited in the board game is simply by financial reasons and finding a fitting amount. BUt if the Barbarians will come more often, you will get every time a VP if you are the hero of catan.

Exactly. The same ruling applies to ressource cards. We discussed this with our colleagues at Catan GmbH and they agreed that the digital version should not have limitations that exist in the physical game solely because there is a limited number of cards in the box due to limitations in production.

• Got it. Thx you every one!. i do think it should be limited amount of cards for resources though