Exporting game log

• Hi everybody,

is there a way of exporting game log or any other kind of (detailed) statistics tracking? (stuff like, how many dev cards ppl bought, starting positions for all the players, total number of specific resource gathered, etc...)
    I am a big Catan fan and i log most of my games, and from those i pull out various statistics... Usually i am forced to track the game by hand, but considering this is the digital version, i was wondering if there is a way to extract the log of each and every action preformed in-game?

Thanks

• The developers basically told us a long time ago that they are intentionally not going to add these statistics because "in real life you don't have automatic statistics either". Also because this stuff can not be displayed on mobile clients very well... Either way the more sophisticated statistics screen was there on PlayCatan and it was very useful during the game as well (statistics are totally missing during gameplay on Catan Universe lol). I hope this game dies soon so another group could take over and do it right.

• @Stroom said:

The developers basically told us a long time ago that they are intentionally not going to add these statistics because "in real life you don't have automatic statistics either". Also because this stuff can not be displayed on mobile clients very well... Either way the more sophisticated statistics screen was there on PlayCatan and it was very useful during the game as well (statistics are totally missing during gameplay on Catan Universe lol)..

While i do agree with the first part about "in real life...", the same can be said about any other card or board game, take for instance Hearthstone, where card counting and probabilities is one of the major game mechanics (and Hearthstone is one of the biggest names in gaming industry atm), yet, Blizzard said that they wont ban anything that simulates something that can be done by pen and paper... But it is like it is, if they already said they wont be implementing something similar, i guess we have to live with it.

@Stroom said:

I hope this game dies soon so another group could take over and do it right

This is kinda harsh, dont you think? I like the way the game looks, and i really enjoy it. Never had any of the bugs people mentioned. In any case, even if you hate the state of the game right now, imagine if someone had to re-do the game from scratch, it would take 2 years to polish all the bugs and get it into the state that CU is currently...

• I guess you don't know about PlayCatan then?

PlayCatan was a well working platform. Much better than this one. The games never crashed, the UI did not freeze constantly during gaming. And a lot of good game features were there. If you have played on a platform which has so many more features and you suddenly have to play on something that limits your possibilities in every aspect of the game you will also think this way.

Most games on Catan Universe are by default with 3 players. It is super hard to find a 4 player game which is much more balanced. In PlayCatan the lobby system allowed creating games with any customization at a quicker pace than this automatic matchmaker.

Trading system in Catan Universe only allows the current player to create trade offers. In PlayCatan the other players could form trade offers and send them to current player so he could accept them. This made trading much more faster and resembles real life bargaining much more.

The automatic timer which ends your turn without your consent is also horrible by design. In real life you could ask for extra time if you need more time to think.

This game now is just designed to speed up all games and it generally just takes all the fun and deeper strategy out of the game.

Why they removed PlayCatan to substitute it with an all-around worse version of Catan Universe? Because money. They couldn't even make it better than the previous version and they even admitted that they are not going to copy any of the good features of the previous game. I guess it is mostly because they copied their own previous Catan implementation from the apps they had previously made and they did not care enough to even look into the PlayCatan features.

From my experience (seeing how new players change their tone towards the game over a long period of time) it takes a new player about 6 months to become frustrated about the administration of this game.

• Actually i did play on playcatan, i still got an account (i believe the registration is made impossible now), but i never liked it. The UI was kinda clunky, and for me, the controls were not that great. I guess everyone has its favorites...

Also i never had any issues with CU, not a single game froze or didnt finish for some other reason. Never searched for a 4 player game more than 2 minutes, etc.
    As i said, i prefer CU over play catan, although i do agree some of the features present in playcatan are missing here...

• CU - the game will freeze for a few seconds right after you start a game and click the "settings" button. One thing that can always happen. The game is also quite slow to actually load and start a game. It should not take more than 2 seconds, instead it takes 10.

The UI is still quite horrible:
    Buying development cards - hidden from the view by default. You have to scroll down and click on the deck. Instead of maybe having a button visible at all times. Also displaying all the game pieces around the table is pointless. A row of buttons would be much easier to use.
    Playing development cards - you have to click 3 times to play a card - select the hand of development cards, then select the card and then... Find the accept button on bottom right. Why not just 2 clicks? Also if you have enough resources to play a development card and your view is at such angle that you could click on the development card to play, the game will also click on the development card buy button. This will give you 2 options at the same time - play a development card or buy one.
    Selecting cards for trading/discarding when a 7 is rolled: In the same area where you would click to select a card, after clicking once you will get the button to remove a card. This is unintuitive and a horrible decision. Look at how PlayCatan did it. Much better.
    Trading screen - Why is the bank trading screen on a different view from the trading with players view? Why can't other players see what the trade offer responses were? If I normally would not like to trade but I know that I can not let player A get the resource from this trade, I would change my mind and accept the trade. This is completely missing at the moment. In addition to counter-offers etc.
    Also, every action you have to do in the game will hide the map so you have to swap between views all the time. Trading, throwing away cards when a 7 is rolled, after moving the robber, who to steal from... So many dialog windows in the middle of the screen for things that could be done on the side.

Who gets what resource for a trade roll... Totally pointless animation. It would be visually much more easier if that info is displayed next to the player avatar for the current player turn.

I could go on and on about why this UI sucks. I could conclude it with: This game is made for the mobile client. The developers do not care at all about PC players and their needs. You can see it from every single UI decision of this game.