Player Refuses to Play and Does Not Time Out

• edit by @administrators: do not use player names in the forum when reffering to possible missbehaviour in the game left the game when he rolled a 7. He came back but refused to discard and finish his turn. If we quit we are penalized Karma. Why does he not timeout, even after 15 minutes? Why should I be penalized for the unsportsmanlike conduct of this player? If we want to leave and play another game we are the quitters even though he is the problem.

• administrators

@OrangeSheep Thanks for your feedback. We are investigating the issue why the timer sometimes seem to not work properly.

• Administrator, what are you talking about? The timer NEVER works properly after the initial setup.

• A very simple way to see if the timer works properly would be to actually display the timer on screen and sync it every 5 seconds. Something the players have asked for since the timer was created. But no, the developers are randomly updating each feature very small steps at a time.

• Two absolutely, positively, crucial issues regarding the timer. This weekend I took too much time putting down my initial settlement twice. In one game AI put one down for me in a spot I would not have chosen, "like ever" as my daughter would say, and the second time it pointed my road, after I managed to place my settlement down at the silent buzzer, in the wrong direction. None of these instances would have happened if the timer was visible and I wouldn't have had to continue playing a couple of games I didn't want to play just to avoid losing karma. So, those two crucial issues. One; make the timer visible. Two; as initial placement can make or break your game (and enjoyment of the game), increase the time for this portion of the game to at least 3 minutes. Not everyone will need this amount of time, but some will. Or, regarding option 2, give everyone 5 minutes to look at the initial board before any placement can be made, and then give everyone 60 to 90 seconds to place. That initial 5 minutes would give everyone ample time to evaluate whether city/knights, longest road, free road, port, etc, strategy is the way to go for that particular board, yada, yada, yada.

• I agree with what was said about the timer in the previous post. Making the timer visible would be the best thing for me.
    Yes, some people would take more time for their initial placements if they knew exactly how much time they had and games might start slower, but I think it is possible that there would be fewer people leaving games early through frustration because of an unwanted placement by the AI.

• I just had to leave a game where a player did this--rolled the robber, then refused to discard. The other player said they've encountered this player before who does it all the time. Now I can't even block the player, because we haven't finished a game together. If you can't fix the timer right away, you need to at least bring back the ability to report/block a player IN game!

• @berly said:

I just had to leave a game where a player did this--rolled the robber, then refused to discard. The other player said they've encountered this player before who does it all the time. Now I can't even block the player, because we haven't finished a game together. If you can't fix the timer right away, you need to at least bring back the ability to report/block a player IN game!

? the timer does work (though there is a way to 'break it' that i won't post)... As for blocking players in game... you can do that by right clicking on the player card. You can also block them after the game by opening the block list... Though you can still only block if you have less than 200 people on the list for some arbitrary dumb reason.

• The player turn management code is really weird. How does it not track the time from the second that the dice are passed to the next player? Seems like a lot of code is run on the client side instead of the server. To me it seems like very bad QA if they can not find these things. No code analysis being done?