Current User Survey: Animations

• Dear Cataninas,

Last week’s update brought some significant changes in regards to animation speed in general. The new animations have now been live for a while and we’d like gather your feedback.
    We’re currently evaluating the best settings for both beginners and veteran players and want to gather your opinion on what the slowest and fastest animation setting should play like.

1. Current (new) animation speed
    • Is it fast enough or do you have suggestions for further increases in animation speed in some situations?

• If you think the animation speed is now too fast, what parts would you like to slow down?

1. Old (slow) animation speed: This could be the lowest possible setting for beginning players.
    • Do you have any suggestions for modifications in this regard, e.g. keep the resource distribution speed, but speed up building animation?
    1. Auto-Zoom (camera following the game flow, e.g. moving to field where something is build, etc.) has been temporarily disabled. While the Auto- Zoom proofs to be helpful for new players, it might be distracting for veterans.
    • The setting for bringing the Auto-Zoom back into the game could either be an on/off switch or tied to a slow animation speed settings in general. What’s your preference?
    1. Notifications: Currently notifications for events like a change of the “Longest Road” award are displayed as overlays.
    • Would you like to decrease the time these notifications are displayed? If yes, what do you consider the minimum display time?

• Would you prefer short textual information over visual information?

We are looking forward to hear your feedback.

• Current (new) animation speed
    Better. The knight/robber animation is still slow. No need to show it so much. When the robber moves you know why.

Old (slow) animation speed: This could be the lowest possible setting for beginning players.
    Do not allow slow animation at all! I do not want to wait after other players because they don't know how to make the animation slower. Or if you do, the default should be fast animation. And you should be able to change it in the middle of the game. At the moment you don't allow any options modifications during the game.

Auto-Zoom (camera following the game flow, e.g. moving to field where something is build, etc.) has been temporarily disabled. While the Auto- Zoom proofs to be helpful for new players, it might be distracting for veterans.
    No! Auto-zoom is not helpful at all. You should rather make the color chits glow or something to show what hexes produce resources. But make it subtle. No-one wants to get motion sickness when you change the view without user control.

Notifications: Currently notifications for events like a change of the “Longest Road” award are displayed as overlays.
    If you click on the board make them go away instantly. No. Actually, don't have these overlays at all. You can see from player points who has the longest road etc. Players should know the rules anyway when playing.

Actually, no. Ignore that survey. What you need to do is start over with the UI. Make it 2D. Make the PC UI more like PC not like a tablet. The whole building and trading system, buttons in the corners etc is a classic tablet UI element. You are too lazy and you are totally messing up the online Catan gaming if you continue like this. For once, learn from the previous versions.
    You are so blatantly ignoring these suggestions. Not even an answer about whether you accept this suggestion for consideration or if you just continue as is.

Edit: I want to see the lobby of players. There aren't thousands of players playing this game constantly. I want to make sure I can actually get a game started not wait 10 minutes and realize then that no-one else is online. And the game customization is only for expansions. Base game can be customised too.

• Change the configuration of the numbers for every game. It would be fairer and more challenging.

• @dondee
    I agree. This is a real shortcoming.

• @Administrator
    Current (new) animation speed

1. Is it fast enough or do you have suggestions for further increases in animation speed in some situations?
      It is fast enough now. Do not enable a slow speed.

2. Auto-Zoom
      No. I prefer fleshing hexagons to show numbers rolled, etc.

3. Notifications: Currently notifications for events like a change of the “Longest Road” award are displayed as overlays.
      I think these are fine.

Other: the quick response feature for tradin gfrom PlayCAtan would be a big improvement (I want more, I don't have any, etc)

• All of the animations are too slow. I really hate how to AI characters spin their cards.

• In C&K, the barbarian ship animation is super slow. On the other points, I agree with asher.

• Priority: I need to see the whole board!
    I don´t care much for Auto-Zoom, but if you want to implement an option, that would be ok. It´s much more urgent to finally be able to adjust the size of the board. I cannot plan a strategy, if I cannot see the entire board. And with Cities & Knights, it is impossiple to see, when and how many vikings will land, and how strong our defence is. Please, please, please change this as soon as possible! I would be grateful for a response, if and when this will be fixed.

• administrators

@Rumpelstilzchen You should be able to zoom in and out by using the mouse weel. Isn´t that working for you? Apart form that we are aware of the fact that e.g the Barabarian indicator isn´t implemented yet. We are currently desinging an optimized UI which also should include such an indicator.

• All animations should have a corresponding sound.
    Even if it is a small sound, it should be there.
    I think a Fast/Slow/Off option for animations would be great. All animations and Slow Game Speed should be ON by Default for the initiates, but be also be Toggles, so that veterans can turn off the excess.

Game settings should be stored globally, so that they are tied to account logins.

The barbarian moving closer should inspire dread. Its a tad slow, but it needs to be highlighted more than by length of animation. perhaps a flashing red circle on the space it moves onto.

I think if you put an overlay up on the screen, the entire screen should become a button. A Big Button. That giant button closes the overlay. a button that i can click immediately. the overlay should only be onscreen for .8 seconds. This button, perhaps, is only superseded by the Chat and Game Options overlays. (in terms of layer order)

I think there should be an animation of the piece played. This animation should replace the space where the player avatar is currently. The 'physical' piece that was placed would flash brightly in the color of the player who placed it.

It would look something like this.

Further imagining of the animation: a 3d piece that rotates around the Z axis in isometric perspective

I think all awards and notifications should be as visual as possible; icons over words.

Anything related to Victory Points, should get an overlay, because they are a Big Deal. They should also stay on the screen for .8 seconds, but be subject to the Big Button, so I can close them almost before they even pop.

For anything that demands Immediate Player Action (forfeit cards because robber or choose resource to give up, what card you want (aqueduct), what knight is deserting, what city you have to downgrade) should be up forever, until player clicks/taps. We need this because sometimes people who aren't paying attention because its not their turn, well, aren't paying attention. An overlay that does not go away until they tap will tell them what action needs to happen.

c4 :boom:

• Current animation speed seems ok except for the robber--the vertical line symbol appearing twice every time takes too long and is pointless.

I would never support slower animation speeds because the game takes far too long under the current layout as it is.

Auto-zoom is the worst. I do understand why it may be helpful to new players, but no one who plays a lot would want that.

I have no issue with the animation for longest road or largest army.

--KJ

• all aspects of the animation is slow and takes way to long to play a game

• @Administrator Overview still badly needed
    I don´t know why my reply to the administor was not answered and disappeared, but I´ll just rewrite it and hope for a better outcome this time:
    I still cannot get an overhead view of the board. I can move the board with the mouse, but no zooming out into an overview is possible. Is there a solution to my problem yet?

• administrators

@Rumpelstilzchen are you using a trackpad (e.g on a laptop or Macbook) and not a regular mouse to play the game?

@Rumpelstilzchen said:

Priority: I need to see the whole board!
    I don´t care much for Auto-Zoom, but if you want to implement an option, that would be ok. It´s much more urgent to finally be able to adjust the size of the board. I cannot plan a strategy, if I cannot see the entire board. And with Cities & Knights, it is impossiple to see, when and how many vikings will land, and how strong our defence is. Please, please, please change this as soon as possible! I would be grateful for a response, if and when this will be fixed.

@Administrator said:

@Rumpelstilzchen You should be able to zoom in and out by using the mouse weel. Isn´t that working for you? Apart form that we are aware of the fact that e.g the Barabarian indicator isn´t implemented yet. We are currently desinging an optimized UI which also should include such an indicator.

• @Administrator I use a laptop. I am not sure what a trackpad is, but it sounds right. (tracing with my finger on a pad to move the cursor). No regular mouse attached.

• administrators

@Rumpelstilzchen The default mullti touch gestures don´t work? Per default (without knowing the specific touch pad you are using) they should work the same as on smartphones.